Chapter 59

[warning, I changed the reality of this chapter, to make it my own. The free practice results stay the same, just the events happening in this chapter, have not happened in real life]

It's Friday, which means the first two free practices are today. I sit down with my headphones on, while I smile at Femke. She's been very, very smiley. She had her date with Sebastian yesterday, but I haven't talked to her yet. And I'm not going to do it while Christian can hear everything.

Rose stayed in the garage, with Victoria and Marcel, while Daniel's Victoria is sitting next to me. She doesn't really know people from Daniel's team.

The practice starts and cars leave the garages. After a few minutes, I can see Max's car leave the garage. I take a look at data about the temperature of his car, tyres and brakes. Max is just doing his outlap now, while I see Daniel following close behind. Victoria seems nervous for Daniel. This is her first time at a Grand Prix.

"Don't worry Victoria, he'll be fine" I tell her, as she's wearing a headset as well. She looks up at me and smiles. I look back at the monitor and see the time coming up, which means Max has started his lap.

The sector times seem alright, as he is pushing the car and himself.

"Max, look out after these tyres, it's just your first lap" I tell through the radio. I don't want him going through all of his sets today. He has two days after this. I can immediately see his last sector time slowing down. He is listening to me, good. He puts down a decent time and I tell him.

More and more drivers begin to set times and they're all decent. I have a feeling they can all do better.

Hamilton puts down a fastest time, with 1.37.428. It's extremely good. I knew they could go faster. Soon after Hamilton, Rosberg follows with a good time, 1.37.743. I start to feel anxious. Max is about to set another time. He turns into sectors and it seems close to Lewis', until sector 3. He loses some time there and puts a lap time down of 1.39.379, a third time for now.

"Lap time is 1.39.379, third position for now" I tell Max.

"Okay, how much slower as Lewis?" Max asks me.

"1.951 seconds" I tell him. I can hear a groan from Max.

"I can go faster" he replies. I shake my head, not wanting him to go and take risks.

"Max, don't. Just accept the time, you have time to better yourself" I tell him. I don't get a reply and soon I can see the timer starting. I groan and just watch the monitor. I slowly look to my right, to see Christian shaking his head. He is annoyed that Max ignored me as well.

Just as I look back at the monitor, my heart stops. My eyes widen and my mouth falls open. I look at the monitor in shock, completly frozen for a moment.

Max's car spins and crashes into a wall, hard. Pieces of his car are flying everywhere. Immediately, there is a red flag.

"Max, are you okay?!" I first his Christian's voice through the radio. I'm frozen, I don't move. I do feel eyes on me, from Femke and from Victoria. When there's no response, I hear Marcel's voice.

"Max, we need to know if you're okay!" is what he says. There is no movement from the car. I seem to slowly unfreeze and tears are prickling in my eyes.

"Max, please reply. Are you okay? I need to know if you're okay?!" I yell through the radio. Marshalls are running to the car. I don't know what to do. Tears are streaming down my face and I feel Victoria's hand touching my arm.