Chapter 38

It's saturday and we're ready for qualifying. Femke has had her first work and she did well. Dan did well in practice, but he has a hard time adjusting to Femke yet. Her told me it wasn't her, but more the different voice and way of talking to him.

But qualifying is about to start and I'm thrilled. Max has had good runs in practice and in P2, he even came 4th, in front of Dan. I'm happy that everything is going right until now.

I'm already at the screens, when Femke comes walking up to the screens. She smiles as she takes her place.

"Nervous?" I ask her with a small smile. I know how I felt when I first started. I remember it as it was only a few weeks ago.

"A little bit. I just hope I don't make any mistakes" Femke answers. I smile at her, a bit brighter than just now.

"Just do what feels good and then everything will be alright. Daniel is amazing, if you tell him something, he'll do it" I say and Femke nods at that. Lastly, Christian takes his place and greets us. I smile at him, before trying to concentrate on what's happening as the clock starts ticking.

"P5, Max, good for now!" I tell him thorugh the radio, after his first time set lap in Q1.

"Okay, what was my laptime?" he asks me.

"1.15.875" I answer him, not getting a reaction. I just try to listen to Femke. I see Dan setting his first time, in front of Max.

"1.15.591, P3 right now, Daniel" Femke says through the radio. I think he said something back, because Femke looks at me with a smile.

"Yes, in front of Max" she then says. I laugh and shake my head. Dan and his battle with Max. When Q1 is over, Ericsson, Nasr, Haryanto, Kvyat, Wehrlein and Magnussen are out and we move on to Q2, which goes well as well. This time, Max is in front of Daniel, which made me smile at Femke.

And then Q3, the one I'm always nervous for.

"Last qualifying round before break, Max. Push to the limit, bitte" I say, trying German.

"I'll do everything I can, Jas" he answers and I can hear the smile in his voice. The timer starts and they all set a time, not that it is an important one, as everyone is going to do another run. Like I thought, everyone goes out, 3 minutes before the end and do their outlap. Everyone does another run and I'm nervous as hell. Rosberg get's pole position, Hamilton comes in second and Dan won the battle between him and Max, locking in third. Max qualifies 4th.

"Great job, Max. P4 is yours!" I say to him.

"Ah shit, Dan is in front of me" he answers and I giggle.

"No swearing, Max!" I soflty yell though. Christian laughs next to me and Femke does too.

"I'm sorry, Jas" Max answers me and I smile. I take my headphones off and take Femke with me to the garages. Although she's been there, she tends to get lost. She walks into Dan's side of the garage, though, as I walk into Max's. He is standing there with Marcel and Roy, going over some things. I go and stand beside him and without even looking, he puts his arm around me. Marcel and Roy smile at me and I return the gesture.

"Well done, boys" I hear an Austrlian accent say. We all turn around to see Daniel entering the garage, with Femke, Jake and Mark by his side. Jake is talking to Femke, probably about strategy. I still have to talk to Marcel about ours, with Max. Max smiles at his team mate. Daniel then looks at me and back at Max.

"Max, do you mind if I steal your girlfriend for a bit?" he asks Max. I frown. Max nods and kisses my cheek, returning to talking to his engineers. I walk away with Daniel, to the RB paddocks, where it's quiet right now. We sit down and I look at him, waiting for him to talk.

"I broke someone's heart" he mumbles. I look down, sad. Poor Victoria.

"You broke up with Victoria then?" I ask him and he nods, slowly and barely noticeable, but I notice.

"I'm sorry, Dan" I tell him. Not that it matters, cause what's done is done.

"I just need your opinion about something. Maybe something is wrong with me. I don't feel anything right now. I don't feel sad, I don't feel like I just lost someone. I thought I liked her, but it's like nothing has changed. I mean, what?" Daniel sounds so confused and I feel really bad for him.

"Nothing is wrong with you, Dan" I say. He looks up to me and frowns.

"How can I not feel anything for her? Not even a single bit of sadness. Nothing. I.. I don't know" I have never heard him be so confused.

"What's a song that makes you happy?" I ask him. He looks confused, but answers anyway.

"Right now, it's actually Closer, by the Chainsmokers" he answers. I look up the lyrics and start singing to Dan.

"Hey. I was doing just fine before I met you, I drank to much and that's an issue, but I'm okay. Hey. You tell your friends that it was nice to meet them, but I hope I never see them again. I know it breaks your heart. Moved to the city in a broke down car and. 4 years no calls. Now you're looking pretty in a hotel bar and. I, can't stop. No I, can't stop. So baby pull me closer in the backseat of your Rover. That I know you can't afford, by that tattoo on your shoulder. Pull the sheets right off the cornor of the matress that you stole. From your roommate back in Boulder, we ain't never getting older. We ain't never getting older. We ain't never getting older. Who ? Look as good as the day I met you. I forgot just why I left you, I was insane. Stay, play that Blink 182 song. That we beat the depth in two song, Okay? I know it breaks your heart. Moved to the city in a broke down car, and. 4 years now calls, and now I'm looking pretty in a hotel bar and. I can't stop. No I can't stop. So baby pull me closer in the backseat of your Rover. That I know you can't afford, by that tattoo on your shoulder. Pull the sheets right off the cornor of the mattress that you stole. From your roommate back in Boulder, we ain't never getting older" as the song continues, I sing all the lyrics and I see a smile forming on Daniel's face. I love this song as well. It makes no sense at all, but it's fun to sing along to. When the song finishes, Daniel pulls me in for a hug.

"Thank you" he whispers. I just smile and hug him back. Sometimes, music is all we need to feel better.