Chapter 39 | The Cookie Thieves

"Are you really actually sure that I'll be able to dance?" I asked the doctor as he came for his routine visit.

He sighed and gave me a look. I rolled my eyes at how unprofessional he was being.

"Miss Jane, for the millionth time, you can dance to the top of Mount Everest if you let it heal properly." He said.

"That's not possible!" I told him. My eyebrows furrowed and I glanced at Brianna. She better to ready to claw at him.

"Well, you'll be the first to do it because you have a normal simple fracture in your leg." He dumbed down for me again even though my sister was the blonde in the room.

"You better be right. My career depends on my leg—"

"I know, I know. You've been telling me this since the past three days now." He said.

Bellamy entered the room with a coffee for himself and Brianna. She put her phone down and took it from him.

"When can I go home?" I asked the nurse since the doctor exited.

"It's better to get comfy here. You're not in the position to leave your bed." She said.

"But I've been stuck here for days now and it's almost Christmas. I wanna go home and celebrate it with my family. I have to decorate the Christmas tree and put up my stocking too." I whined. Bellamy and Brianna laughed while the nurse shook her head at me and left the room.

"I'm bored." I stated as Bellamy took a seat next to me. Brianna sat on the edge of my bed.

"Do you really want to decorate a tree?" Bellamy asked. I nodded my head. "I did it every year with dad." I told him.

Brianna sighed. "Well we haven't done much at home either so..."

I pushed up my glasses and stared at Bellamy. He hadn't went home ever since I was at the hospital. Keith would come and go. He mostly stayed the nights when Brianna would go home. I wish I could say he looked better but both Keith and Bellamy looked terribly. They had bags under their eyes and days old stubble. I was glad Bellamy changed shirts at least.

Mom would occasionally check on me and there was an obvious tension between her and the boys but I fought with her to let them stay inside my room.

"Why don't you go home and sleep, if you know what that is." I told Bellamy.

"I'm fine here." He mumbled.

"She's right. You need to sleep." Brianna nudge his arm.

He glared at her briefly before looking at my hand again, probably reading the messages that were scribbled on my cast.

"I did." He answered.  "I nap every hour."

"Ten minutes every hour doesn't count as sleep." Brianna said.

Before the two started fighting over this again I cut them off. "Do you guy think I can do ballet again?"

"Here we go again. I'm going to find mom." Brianna said as stood up.

I looked at Bellamy for an answer. 

"Merry Christmas," a familiar crowd cheer as my mom pushed my wheelchair into the family room of Keith's house.

Just a few days ago his parents, Nora and Bryce visited me in the hospital.  Turns out me and Keith were childhood friends and everyone kept it a surprise for me. His mom promised to show me old home videos of us she had. His dad and mine were friends in college so he had a lot of stories to tell me about him and dad. I think I saw him at the funeral but I wasn't really myself at that time.