Left Without a Choice [Chapter One Part Nine]

Finally, back to my senses, I composed myself the best that I could and went home to help everyone out. I silently did as I was told while everyone was running shop. Throughout the day, I'd move an item or two to my room so I can pack it away. While my family was in the front of the shop handling customers I ran upstairs and began to pack.

Remembering how my father retold his experiences away from the village I avoided miscellaneous items. The more I brought with me the more I'll be inconvenienced in the long run. Halfway through I had to cover my eyes and breathe slowly to prevent myself from crying again. I must do this. I must protect them. I finally tightened the straps around my quilt and put it on my pack. I hooked onto my hip a hunting knife and grabbed my canteen. "I'll carry that," I muttered to myself.

I crept downstairs and peered into the shop one last time. A lopsided smile crept across my face as I took it all in. At the top of the shelves, you could see a small but noticeable layer of dust that always found its way in the shop. I saw my mother idly tucking a strand of hair behind her ear as she spoke with a customer. I'm going to miss her so much. Who's going to make me tea when I felt alone? Who's going to give me the best hugs in the world?

Father was laughing with the blacksmith; his arms were crossed in front of his chest. I hope I'll be able to laugh like him, effortlessly and without a care in the world. Hopefully, I'll grow up to be a fraction of the man that he is. Everyone always told me that I'm a younger version of him with a dash of my mother's personality.

I finally looked to see Jacob, he was cursing as he carried multiple boxes around the side of the store for another customer. What am I going to do without him? He's my other half. He's the blazing sun to my cool moon. Without him who could I be? He had more of my father's carefree personality. Without hesitation, he'll say exactly what he thinks and as much as I chastised him about it...it was a trait that I wished I had. He was fearless and he would do anything for me, which is why I must go.

If something happened to him, to them, because of me I would never be able to cope with it. My eyes began to water and more than anything I wanted them to hold me. I slipped out of through the back door lip quivering.

I'm abandoning them. I'm leaving the family that raised me and supported me through my hardest days as a child. I took one last look back at my home from a distance. "Maybe we'll meet again in another lifetime," I whispered to no one in particular as I left my home and took my first step into a tainted reality filled with uncertainty.

---

We are now officially done with chapter one! I'm so excited because Vaughn's world is going to start expanding with these upcoming chapters!

Feel free to comment and subscribe to me so you can get updates on when I update!