Return to the Dream [Chapter Three Part One]

Vaughn

"No, not now!" I screamed as I scanned around to see that I was back in that enigmatic chamber. Once again there was smoke surrounding me in the tight space though this time there was a little less. It didn't help the fact that I was totally disoriented. The room was spinning just as much as my vision had when I was awake.

"I need to get out of here!" I tried moving but I stumbled around the smoky room. I could hear murmurs but none of them were incomprehensible.

Hear me

I screamed. "Let me go! I need to go back!" The whispers didn't stop and I still couldn't understand what they were saying.

Ilcryst

"What?" I fell onto my knees hands pressed against the floor. Droplets of sweat dashed down from my forehead. The rug was a burnt orange color with gold inscriptions and designs all over. I tried looking up but just collapsed on the carpet. I felt numb and slowly my vision faded into nothingness.

I sprang up and immediately felt vertigo. "Ow! My head!" I placed my hand against my head to feel a wet cloth. What does that Ilcryst even mean? "Where am I?" I looked around to see that I was in a cottage lying next to the fireplace. Atticus was unconscious beside me with a wet cloth on his head as well.

I rushed to Atticus' side and shook his taut chest. "Atticus! Wake up!" No response. Without hesitation, I put my head on his chest and tried to listen for breathing. I gave a sigh of relief the moment I felt his chest dip.

"Thank the Gods we're safe...for now." I managed to sit up and started to walk around the cottage. There was a minimalistic design to everything. Two animal skin rugs were used for Atticus and I. Nearby us was a small table with our belongings underneath it. I scurried over, moved a chair to the side, and hastily checked through to see that nothing was missing. I slowly stood up to see that on the table was a pitcher of water and two cups.

I quietly poured some water in the cup and then brought the cup to my lips. I proceeded to test the water by sticking my tongue in the water to make sure it was fine.

"Well don't just stand there. Drink it!" I straightened up and turned to see a man in his early fifties leaning against the archway. He was wearing a red button down and some khaki pants while his boots were a deep brown color.

"Bruno!" A well-rounded woman came busting in the room with a plate of unknown fruits that made my mouth water. "What did I tell you about how we treat our guests?"

"He's staring at the water like it's poison." He huffed the truth. "It's complete disrespect to treat someone who saves him like that. Complete disrespect."

"I-I'm sorry!" I chugged the cup and placed it down on the table holding my hands up.

The woman set the plate down on the wooden table. "Hush child, you have nothing to apologize for. The moment anyone," She pauses to gaze at the man with strawberry blonde hair. "Comes into our home they are a guest."

"Whatever you say Peaches," The man shrugged and took a seat at the one end of the table. The woman sat beside the man and tapped the side of the table that I pulled my chair from. I scooted the chair in and sat at the table with them. "The only reason I saved your sorry asses was because you reminded me of Kurt."

The woman who likes to be referred as Peaches gazed at me. "He does look like the splitting image of Kurt...though I remember Kurt looking a bit more muscular."

"He was travelling with a woman for a volunteer project right?"

"Yeah he was. I wonder what her name was again." Playing coy the woman looked and winked at me. It can't be a coincidence that a man named Kurt was traveling for a volunteer project in these parts.

"Do you mean Mina?" I asked and they both silently gazed at me.

"That's-that's right." The lady stammered, probably because she thought that I'd be wrong, and suddenly I was the talkative one with flushed cheeks.

"Kurt and Mina are the names of my parents." I clasped my hand to my chest. "How do you know my parents?"

The man slumped in his chair. "Well, I'll be damned!" He laughed and pushed his straw hat a little bit up and away from his face. "Kurt and Mina shacked up and had a pup!"

"Two actually."

"Him?" The man in an unconvinced manner pointed at Atticus.

"No! No!" I shook my hands in front of my face. "He's not my brother. He's another villager."

"Oh!" The lady clapped her hands excitedly. "You both are part of your village's expedition group? Your mother's sense of adventure must have run in the family!"

"No." I bit my lip. "My parent's group was the only one."

"That's a shame." The woman took one of the fruits and munched off a bite. "I think it's a wonderful idea to see the world and interact with others."

The thin limbed man crossed his arms in front of his chest. "Then why are you and that boy not back home?"

------------------------------------

I'm super happy to introduce our first two characters that aren't part of the Quidel! For those of you who are in school still good luck with your finals!

-Ryan