To Help Him [Chapter Nine Part Six]

Jolting awake I noted that all I could see were bedsheets. Feeling a hand on my head I turned to see Atticus by my side talking to me. "-glad to see that you're awake." His hand fell from my head grazing my cheek.

"I'm sorry!" I bolted upright. "I was only going to take a nap!" I rubbed my face with my poncho to prevent Atticus from seeing my face.

"You're fine," Atticus spoke politely. "I actually woke you up because I need your help."

"Of course, I'll do anything for you." My face reddened even further at the double-meaning but I forced myself to let go of the poncho so he could talk face to face with me.

Atticus flinched as he helped himself up. "I need to get dressed."

"Oh!" I stood up, "I'll let you be then!"

"No, umm," Atticus' cheeks looked a bit flushed as he looked away from me scratching the back of his neck. DID HE JUST BLUSH JUST NOW? "With my injuries, there are certain positions I can't do on my own."

"Y-you want me to-to undress you?" I stammered.

"And dress me yes." He sighed looking down on his hands. "I'm sorry for burdening you with this task."

"T-that's fine!" I brought my hands up. "I just wanted to confirm with you is all!" Shuffling to the other side I bent over to pick up Atticus' pack and rummage through his belongings. Pulling out a fresh pair of clothing, a small book fell out as well.

"What's this?"

"Don't!" Atticus reached out then cried aloud in pain. Dropping the book I rushed to his side.

"What's wrong?" I began to inspect him when I found some discoloration on his shirt.

"I think one of the blisters popped." Atticus sucked in his breath. "Can you change me now? We need to see how bad it is."

"Yes, of course! I-I just need to reposition you." I slowly began the process of moving Atticus to the edge of the bed. Swiftly taking the bedsheet away from Atticus, I gingerly attempted to wrap my hands around each of his calves. I started to drag him when I felt him flinch. "Are you in pain?"

"Yeah," He nodded in pain.

My heart began to throb. "Did it hurt yesterday too?"

"Not as much, but that's probably because the injuries are now more inflamed." Grazing my hands around his body to rest on his knees I felt utterly helpless. I'm the one who put him in this position in the first place. "I have an idea though." I looked over to him. "Put your hands on the underside of my thighs and lean forward." I did as he told against my better judgment. My heart was thudding profusely as my body succumbed to the thoughts filling my mind. Looking me in the eyes Atticus wrapped his arms around my neck, lacing his fingers into a crown in my hair.

"Pull me towards you." Obeying his command I lifted him up and pulled him towards me. "Now I'm going to wrap my legs around you so you can lay me on the edge.

"Wait! What?!" Before I knew it, Atticus wrapped his legs around my waist throwing off my stance. My hands involuntarily drifted upward for support cupping him as I lost my footing. Not being able to support both of our weight properly, I plopped us down on the edge of the bed. Our bodies were so close with Atticus wrapping himself around me. The roughness of his skin, the taut muscles on his body, the hair on his arms brushing against me, it's nothing like my dreams.

His face was so close too; closer than it's ever been. I could see his soft gray eyes on his face showing me a new and addicting vulnerable side. His crow's feet were showing as he let out a hearty laugh, something that was so rare of solemn Atticus to show. The vibrations of his laughter ricocheted against my body as he released his hands from behind me to fall on the bed. "I'm sorry!" He cried aloud between laughs releasing his legs from my waist. "I just knew you'd wuss out if I gave you time to think!"

"L-let's just get you changed." Helping him sit up, I raised his hands above his head. My hands went down to his waist as I rolled up his shirt. Once I folded his shirt and put it aside I began to untie and peel off the roll of cloth that was wrapped around him. As I pulled the cloth off I could see his well-defined body in more detail. The effort he spent to be chosen by the Gods and this was the result. His beautiful body was now covered with welts and scabs. His skin was pink with irritation too. The sight tore me apart.

I let out a soft sigh as I continued to peel off the extra cloth. Atticus would occasionally suck in his breath as I'd have to rip some scabs in the process. This wasn't supposed to happen to him. Gods, this was all my fault. With care, I laid him down and lifted his legs. Tugging his pants swiftly I discarded it to the side and did a quick examination of his legs. They were in worse of a condition than his upper body, especially his feet.