⠀⠀⠀ four

F O U R

SCOUT FELT LIKE throwing up her McDonald's sandwich

The engine was left running as she sat in her car, starring at the building. Virginia was a lovely place that her father and mother decided to raise her but now, all she wanted to do was drive away. The farther away, the better.

She grabbed the file sitting between the edge of the seat and opened it. The photo of an older, tan looking man slid out.

Each paper was memorized and glued into her brain. She had conversations planned in her head:

Are you the famous author, the David Rossi?

I didn't know I was in the same building as a celebrity here!

Your work has inspired me, you have no idea how much my life changed after reading all your books.

And on and on...

They say that flattery will get you nowhere; Scout begged to differ. Flattery goes right to the head and when it comes to men, it goes to both of their heads.

Scout shook her head in disgust. At least this mission wasn't like her usual ones and for that, she was immensely grateful. Becoming friendly and gaining the trust of someone? It was a holiday for her.

Scout feared what she would have to do with the information later.

It was only once she was in the safety of the mailroom did she allow herself to relax. The sounds of people walking through the hall was something she could always count on.

Click. Click. Click.

Heels of strong women on their way to work was always the best. She remembered the first time she heard them when her father would bring her to work. These women towered over her small body and they always held their heads up high. They didn't blend in with the men agents, they dominated them.

And to a small Scout, she loved it. She longed to be just like them.

"And yet," she sighed. "I'm still stuck in this room."

"You bet your bottom dollar you are, kid."

She turned around swiftly as saw Gordon walking in with his usual cup of coffee in hand. Any other day and she would've fought him about it, but she didn't want to.

"Woah," he stopped. "What's up?"

She shook her head, "Nothing, tired that's all."

"Coffee?" He suggested.

"Yeah, yeah. Coffee sounds good right now."

She got up and walked right past Gordon and to the break-room. The feel of his eyes never left her but she ignored it.

A few minutes later and with a lukewarm mug with five packets of sugar later, Scout still wasn't the same. In the back of her head, she knew doing the mission was wrong.

But she didn't have a choice.

Xander wasn't someone to take lightly and her own father knew the price for that.

'Cancer.' She thought to herself, 'everyone thought it was fucking cancer.'

And her mother. She couldn't have her mother pay for the price either. It would be too cruel and too...apathetic of her. The answer was always obvious to the Wiley family. Do what Xander says, or else.

In the corner of her eye, she saw a familiar figure. It wasn't one she met before but she had it memorized like the back of her hand.

5'11

November 13, 1947

Fading black hair, Italian.

And so, she kept her eyes down and distracted. A pair of large hands grabbed her by the shoulders, pushing her back gently.

She let out a small, well-rehearsed gasp.

"Woah, you okay there?" He said.

The sight of the BAU's very own David Rossi made her insides bubble. It was almost too easy.

"I'm so sorry, sir! I must've been distracted and I didn't see you and I'm just so sorry, I know I should've watched where I was going but I didn't see-"

"Hey, hey," he said gently. "It's alright, we all have our moments."

Her eyes turned to realization.

"You're- You're David Rossi, the writer!" She exclaimed.

The man looked away proudly and yet shy at the same time. Scout analyzed the directions where his eyes flew. He was showing pride that she had recognized him but still embarrassed that the situation had unfolded at his work. She knew he didn't want her to make a scene.

"I'm sorry for getting all excited. It's just- well my dad bought me your first book when I was a kid. I wanted to be a profiler just like you and well, it got me here after all."

David smiled, "Are you a trainee?"

She frowned.

"Uh no, I'm in the mailroom but I'm working on it." Scout chuckled nervously.

The look of remorse and pity stayed in his face for a mere second before he smiled again. It was quick but Scout was quicker. She fiddled with her fingers to make it obvious to Rossi that she was embarrassed as well.

She wanted him to feel remorse for her.

"As long as you keep working, I don't see why you wouldn't be considered to be an agent here. Maybe one day I'll be working with you in the BAU. We're always on the look out of new profilers."

She gave a closed mouth smile.

'Liar.'

He chuckled, "Lord knows I'm not getting any younger. Maybe you might be the one to replace me one day."

"I highly doubt that, sir. The bureau would be nothing without you."

He nodded, "That's what they all say. It was nice to meet you-"

"Scout Wiley, sir." She stuck out her hand for to him to shake.

He took it in return.

"Well Scout Wiley from the mailroom, don't give up."

"I won't." She grinned.

'I promise, I won't.'

·        ·        ·        ·        ·