⠀⠀⠀ thirty nine

T H I R T Y N I N E

SPENCER LICKED HIS chapped lips to subside the nerves that was bubbling in the pit of his stomach

He wanted nothing more than for this feeling to go away. But who was he to complain? He had taken down mass murders, destroyed crime syndicates, and incarcerated people that were the living definition of evil. But here he was, struggling not to let his nerves get the best of him.

A gentle hand rubbed his shoulder, "You look like your about to pass out, Spence. You doing alright?"

He turned around to face his blonde friend and sent her an uneasy smile. Trying to convince JJ that he was actually fine would be impossible, she knew when he was lying.

"Nerves, to be frank. I texted her that I forgot a file I needed for tomorrow's briefing at Rossi's and I sent her the right address. Taking into account traffic on a Friday night and the probability of stopping at red lights, she should've been here 6 minutes ago."

JJ raised her brow and it donned on him what she was thinking: she was putting two and two together, adding up to the secret relationship he had with Scout.

"I mean," Spencer's mouth dropped as he stuttered his words together, "It's just that - who knows if something might've happened to her? For all we could - know, maybe the sniper attacked. She could be in danger."

She continued to stare silently.

"She's been targeted before. Remember the laced bullet? It almost killed her. Maybe I should call her cell phone."

JJ rolled her eyes and grabbed the device from his hands, "Okay, Lover Boy. I think that it's time for you to calm down, relax, and drink a glass of wine. You keep thinking like that and your gonna end up in the hospital with an aneurysm and your blood pressure through the roof."

" L-lover boy? "

"Spence, how daft do you think we are? You think we can't see you two making goo goo eyes at each other across the office?" I

He shook his head and turned away from the front window of Rossi's house, leading towards the backyard.

Dave had done him the pleasure of decking out his patio with strings of lights that illuminated the falling sunset. But it was Garcia who went all out with the decorations. She put up colorful streamers and decorated the table with intricate silverware.

Spencer smiled as he made eye contact with Morgan, who had happily stationed himself next to the barbeque with a beer in hand. Rossi, on the other hand, chuckled along side him, probably recounting some old memory from a past case.

"I think she's going to love it, Spence."

He stuffed his hands into his pockets, "I hope so. Can't be too certain if she's a big fan of surprise parties so here's hoping she doesn't tie my shoelaces together when I'm not looking."