⠀⠀⠀ twenty six

T W E N T Y S I X

SCOUT GLANCED AT the buzzing phone that rest on the kitchen counter

She had gotten another text from Spencer. It was the fourth message of the day and she still hadn't responded.

Or rather, she didn't want to.

Picking up her phone, she opened it to reveal the three of messages he had sent her sporadically throughout the day. Man, this guy has no shame. I never would've pegged him as the confident and clingy type.

6:36 AM
Hey, I'm boarding my flight now. I should be back in Virginia in a couple hours.

1:49 PM
My flight just landed and I'm back in town. Jet lag isn't hitting me too hard.

4:20 PM
Do you want to go out today? I'll take you up on that offer for pizza if you're not too busy :)

5:53 PM
We don't have to eat pizza if you're not in the mood. Maybe pasta? I know a few good places to eat.

"He's a genius but he's so clueless. Why can't he just get a hint?" Scout sighed and placed her head into her hands as defeat.

The sound of Harper Wiley wheeling herself into the room made her shoulders slump even further, "What are you talking about?"

"Nothing." She muttered with a sigh.

"This better not be a boyfriend, because if Xander knew then he wouldn't like that."

"He doesn't like a lot of things."

"Scout. I'm being serious, this is not the time to play your little games."

"Oh, yes. Because heaven forbid that I might actually have feelings for someone or that it would even be possible that someone could like me back."

"I don't care about all those details. You just have to worry about your mission, we owe Xander far too much."

Scout scowled, "No, I don't owe him anything. Dad was the one that owed him. Not me. And he's gone and he left us with this mess to clean up. I'm tired of it."

"Well - we don't have a choice, now do we?"

Scout stayed silent, not bothering to look her mother in the eyes.

"Just, get rid of your boyfriend and then you can deal with more important things. What about that doctor that Xander wanted you to get close to? the You should focus on that instead."