⠀⠀⠀ forty nine

F O U R T Y  N I N E

BY THE TIME that Scout awoke a few hours later, Spencer was back, and sitting at the counter, surfing the web on his laptop

He turned when he heard the bedroom door open, and smiled at the sight of her in one of his t-shirts.

"Evening, sleepy head. Feeling better?"

She stretched as she nodded, and padded over to him in bare feet.

"Look at you. Barefoot and pregnant." He opened his arms to welcome her, and she lifted one foot to wiggle her toes.

"Just living the cliché."

He laughed, and she went into his arms, giving him a sleepy kiss.

"I brushed my teeth." The brunette said when they separated.

"I noticed. Minty. Are you hungry?" He asked.

She shrugged. "Little bit, I guess. Where did you go?"

"Grocery shopping."

"Your refrigerator must be in shock." She said, looping her arms around his neck loosely.

"I'll admit that it looked surprised. But I got lots of yummy things."

Her brows lifted. "If only America's bad guys could hear the fearsome a BAU agent say yummy."

"It would really hurt my street cred, that's for sure."

"Just a little. So what sorts of yummy things did you get?" She stepped back to allow him to stand.

"Ah, well, look here." Spencer led her to the small kitchen, and opened the refrigerator.

There were bags of raw vegetables within, as well as several different kinds of fruit and types of cheeses, a carton full of eggs, and, on lower shelves, raw chicken breasts, and other healthy cuts of meat.

"I was reading up on the best foods for morning sickness – or night sickness, in your case."

Scout smiled. "You got all this for me?"

"Mm, hmm. Although not all of it is for morning sickness. For the sickness, some of the fruits – you should suck on a lemon, believe it or not."

She made a face. "Sounds – delicious."

Scout was unconvinced but Spencer ignored her reaction.

"The potatoes – baked, apparently. And ginger ale." He pointed to a bottle on the inside of the refrigerator door.

"As well as," The doctor opened a cabinet, "pretzels, saltines, ginger jam – I didn't even know they made ginger jam, by the way; ginger snaps – sense a theme here?"