⠀⠀⠀ fifty seven

F I F T Y  S E V E N

XANDER INHALED A sharp, yet shaky breathe as he looked around the room, taking in the details

"Fuck!"

He cursed as his niece's phone went to voicemail again. The sun was about to set, he glanced at the sight of the Wiley house in frustration.

The living room was completely trashed. Framed pictures were shattered on the floor, the sofa was torn up, and whatever order that was once there had turned into chaos. And right at the center of the room, Harper's wheelchair was positioned perfectly.

But she was nowhere to be found.

"You're dead, Clarke. I'll kill you myself if I have to." Xander spat out, slicking down his blonde hair in the process.

This meant one thing: Scout was no longer safe. If he had gone after Harper then that meant the next person on his list was going to be his daughter.

But what brought this along? Why now? Why not before?

The male glanced down at his cellphone, which he had been palming nervously, as the sudden feeling of being watched came over him. He tore the back of the device off and bit down on his tongue as his sneaking suspicions were right.

A microphone had been glued into the plastic, recording all conversations he had and transmitting it. Clarke was listening into every conversation he had. He wasn't merely listening into his phone calls or hacking into his text messages. He heard all the chats he had with Scout, all the late night talks with Harper, and all the moments Xander had cursed his own brother's name.

Clarke was on to him right from the beginning.

The older blonde froze, recalling the last time he had talked to his niece. It had been the night before where the two of them sat outside and Xander had said more about his past than he intended to. Thankfully, he hadn't told her everything. But if he did, Scout would've been a mess.

"I - I don't know. Should I tell him the truth?"

"Remember our one rule?"

She nodded, "I go down, you go down."

"Once the FBI finds out the truth about you, it's only going to be a matter of time before they figure out about me. But - ultimately - it's your choice to make."

Xander crouched down to the floor and grasped his head tightly. Of course, if Scout told the truth then they would find out about him. And once they did that then the next person on the FBI's copping block would be Clarke Wiley, aka the same man who faked his death after all these years.