⠀⠀⠀ forty two

F O U R T Y T W O

SPENCER SMILED BRIGHTLY as the front door swung open, revealing the all too familiar boy's face

"Speck!" The little blonde exclaimed and darted towards his long legs, only slightly throwing himself off balance but a hand grabbed his elbow.

Spencer sent a thankful smile directed to Scout as she watched the situation with a lopsided grin. It was obvious to anyone that his godson was completely enamored by the doctor, and who could blame him? She was certainly in the same boat.

"Henry!"

The door widened and there JJ stood with her hands on her hips and the usual scowl that Scout knew all too well. Biting down on her bottom lip, the brunette shook her head from embarrassment. Of course, JJ just had to use the same tone to scold her toddler as she used on Scout.

"Speck?" She chuckled as she turned back to her partner, a teasing voice already laced through her voice.

"Don't laugh. He's just a kid, he doesn't have the same speech level as - as -"

"Yourself?" Scout cocked her eyebrow.

Spencer sighed in defeat as JJ welcomed them in but not before telling Henry, in a very firm voice, to not open the front door again. The home was typical for the area, that being suburban yet modernly modest for the size of the family. Toys were scattered around the living room and the television was flashing nostalgic images of cartoons.

Henry stared up at Scout with weary eyes that were mixed with confusion. He craned his head to the side in hopes of seeing someone else but pouted when he realized the door was shut.

"He's looking for Garcia. She usually comes with me to babysit him since she's his godmother." Spencer leaned in a whisper.

"And he can say Garcia but not Spencer?"

He pursed his lips, "She got dibs on Pen, so I got stuck with Speck."

"That's absolutely adorable."

"Shut up."

JJ crouched down so that she was eye level with her son and wiped his leaking nostril with her sweater sleeve. The boy was clearly upset with the female replacement as he didn't dare make eye contact with Scout.

"What's wrong, Kiddo?" The blonde asked as she pushed back his long hair from his face.

Henry pouted again, scrunching his eyes together, "I - I want Pen!"