⠀⠀⠀ thirty one

T H I R T Y  O N E

SPENCER FROZE WHEN he heard the all too familiar voice of his coworker, yelling at him to hold the elevator

"Thanks." Scout mumbled, removing the drenched hood of her raincoat. Her eyes glanced towards the tall man and instantly shied away to the other side of the metal box.

His cheeks reddened but refused to make eye contact, "Y-Yeah, no problem."

The elevator felt like it was moving in slow motion, every floor seemed like it took minutes to get to. Scout bobbed her head to the commercial jazzy music, biting at her lower lip.

"So um-" She cleared her throat and turned towards the doctor, "Do you think we've got a new case or-"

Her voice trailed off from a whisper to silence. If she was going to work with him then she decided it would be best to make things as least awkward as possible. But she didn't feel like she was helping.

"Uh no," Spencer's voice rasped as if he hadn't used it in days, "Just some routine paperwork, Hotch has us go over past cases every couple of months to see how the trials are going."

"Oh." Scout raised her brow and nodded.

The elevator dinged, signaling that the pair had arrived on the correct floor of the BAU. Spencer's eyes had yet to land on Scout. It didn't bother her much, but when he walked out without saying another word, her throat started to tighten.

It was a stinging feeling that she had not felt in a long time. And she hated it. But instead of mopping, Scout blinked back whatever was causing her vision to blurry and took in a deep breath. After all, she was the one who did this to herself. If she could handle the cut, then she could manage the stitch.

Scout darted directly towards her desk and shrugged her bag to the floor. There waiting for her, stood a pile of manila folders that was almost as big as her head.

"Is it not the biggest coincidence that the strongest rainstorm in Virginia lands on paperwork day?" She mumbled.

Rossi, who was walking by with a cup of coffee, chuckled and patted her back, "Einstein said, Coincidences are God's way of remaining anonymous."

"And a teenager in Ohio said, Look Jesus is on my grilled cheese sandwich." She rolled her eyes and begrudgingly sat down.

Morgan stifled a laugh from his desk by covering it with a cough which brought a smile to her face. Across the pathway, Spencer had tried his hardest not to listen but couldn't help himself. And Scout noticed the small curve to the corner of his lips, feeling accomplished.