⠀⠀⠀ forty six

F O U R T Y S I X

SCOUT STOOD IN the kitchen, yelling back at her mother who was too engulfed in her program

"Are you even listening to me?" The brunette exclaimed, wiping her hands on her apron and gathering the dirty pans.

"Uh huh, yeah, Sweetie."

Scout sighed, giving up on explaining a past case the BAU worked on to Harper. She glanced down at the burnt chocolate chip cookies she tried to make before her shoulders slumped in defeat.

"He did, however, get hit by a bullet. Just mentioning it."

"He was shot?" Harper's head popped up from behind the screen of the television.

"No. Someone threw a bullet at him."

Her mother rolled her eyes, "I swear, that mouth of yours is going to get us both into trouble some day."

Scout chuckled, shaking her head. She knew that it wasn't her mouth that was the biggest problem at the moment. Her hand rested on her belly, the small roundness wasn't completely noticeable yet. As long as she didn't wear skin tight clothing, then no one would connect the dots.

Her cellphone, which was tucked in her pocket, gave a quick ring and Spencer's name stared back at her. Quickly, she ducked out from the kitchen and flipped the phone open as she walked outside.

"Hello?"

"Hey, love. What are you up to?"

"Nothing much," Scout said with a shrug. "Just made some cookies for my mom and I. We're planning on having a night in, maybe watch some Star Wars movies. Don't really know yet."

"So, from what I'm understanding, you can't come over?"

"Nope. I already told you, Doc. I'm spending the night here. Tomorrow, I promise that tomorrow I'll see you."

A small pouting sound came from the other side of her phone and she chuckled.

"Why don't you go and hang out with Morgan? It's been a while since you've pretended to enjoy sports for his sake. Maybe you guys can order a pizza and do guy things?"

"Guy things?"

"Right, I forgot. You can be a sissy, sometimes."

"Oh," Spencer laughed, "You are so going to regret that later."

"Ha, try me, Pretty Boy."

"Besides, I can't hang out with Morgan today. He said he's got plans."

"And you didn't ask what they were?"

Scout could practically hear her boyfriend's shoulders shrug, "Didn't feel like I had to."

"Well, you've going to have to get used to some nights by yourself, Spence. I'm not always going to be able to spend every night with you."