⠀⠀⠀ twenty two

T W E N T Y  T W O

SCOUT AWOKE THE next day to the sounds of loud rummaging and Spencer's voice

It was strange to hear him talk so loudly and with such force. She wasn't used to it. Instead of ignoring it, Scout threw off her covers and walked to the living room.

"Hotch, you don't get it. We ID'd the unsub, I don't understand why you'd still want her to go to that dirty club." Hearing the voices, she stopped behind the wall of the living. Something inside her forced her to and listen, something she had done far too much for Xander.

"Because, Reid, the moment someone suspects that Wiley isn't who she said she is, then this whole case will fall through. She's handled herself so far and she's more than capable to continue. I don't see what the problem is here."

She could hear Spencer sigh, "I don't like it. Every time she's there, she's not safe. You should see the shady people that go there. And - its not right."

Scout felt a tug inside her chest, was he worried about her? Of course he is, you idiot. He likes you.

"Spencer," There was a pause. "You can't let your emotions get in the way of this case."

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Spencer," Hotch said more forcibly. "I know it been a while since-"

"Don't say her name."

There was another pause. "I know it's been a while since Maeve. But you have to remember, she isn't Scout. And the same thing that happened to her isn't going to happen again."

Maeve? Who's Maeve?

"Because you would know?" Spencer spat out, sarcasm dripping.

"No, in fact, I don't know. But you can't keep living like this. You can't be afraid that you're going to loose everyone around you. You can't protect her."

"I don't like her."

Hotch chuckled, "I said the same thing when I first met Hailey. I didn't want to believe it. I didn't want anything to get in the way of my work. But, she made me face the facts. Maybe, Scout will too?"

"I don't like her." Spencer repeated.

The was a silence between the two and Scout saw her opening. She went back to her room and opened the door, then slamming it shut loudly.