⠀⠀⠀ thirty six

T H I R T Y S I X

SPENCER FELT COMFORTABLE; it was the kind of comfort that he hadn't felt in a very long time

And as he shifted in his warm bed, arms wrapped around what he had once thought was impossible, he felt pure and utter bliss. This. This feeling. Moments like this one, the one happening right now.

This is what he wanted to wake up to every single day from now on.

It would be a striking difference from what he considered to be normal. Most nights, he would knock out on the sofa and wake up in smelly clothes, books surrounding him along with spilled cups of coffee on display. He didn't enjoy these mornings. In fact, Spencer would dread them. They were symbolic, alluding to the empty home he always tried to fill with pages upon pages. Maybe that's why he choose such a demanding job to begin with.

Memories came back to him in a flood, and he smiled. He looked down at Scout, curled against him, asleep, and his smile grew wider.

She curled on her side and he molded himself around her. His arms went around her torso and pulled her closer still, pressing a kiss against her ear. She unconsciously covered his hands with her own and gave a contented purr, snuggling back against him.

Good. It hadn't been a dream. She was actually here – in his bed. And as long as he held her close, this reality would never end. Spencer wouldn't let it.

He snuggled closer to her, careful so that she wouldn't stir in her sleep. The clock next to him said three-thirty, plenty of time to sleep and, tomorrow being a Monday, they could both get up early and Scout could get back home to freshen up. Right now, all he could do was fall back into bliss.

Scout came to wakefulness suddenly, and, for a brief, wild moment, wondered where she was. A ringing finally pulled her from sleep, and she sat up with a jerk. Sunlight was coming in through the window, and she looked at the clock.

6:30 AM

Her body dove to the nightstand and flipped open her cell phone, not looking at the caller i.d.

"Hello?" She said in a groggy tone, trying to wipe whatever sleep she at left in her eye, fixing the bird nest of her hair in the process.

"You finally answered." Of course, JJ.

"Hm? That's what makes the phone stop ringing."

Glancing at the lump next to her that was snoring soundly, she smiled into her phone. She bit down on the nail of her thumb to she the involuntary chuckle at the sight of Doctor Spencer Reid sleeping like a five year old.