⠀⠀⠀ fifteen

F I F T E E N

SCOUT GLANCED DOWN at the small bundle of fur tugging on her shoelace

"Sumo, seriously?"

She laughed as she grabbed the young Saint Bernard and scraped behind his ears. The pup fell into her hand, pressing even hard into her fingernails.

Sumo yapped and jumped at her legs.

"Oh, do you want-" And pulled out a yellow tennis ball from her backpack, "-this?"

The puppy tapped again.

"Okay, go," Scout threw it towards the empty field. "Get it, Sumo!"

The park was quiet since it being an early Sunday morning. People were either sleeping in or going to church, both options Scout wasn't interested in participating. Instead, she took the excitable pup to the park to get some fresh air and get her mind off of everything.

She smiled as Sumo got to the ball but instead of grabbing it, opted to barking at it with his tail wagging intensely.

This was the only thing that felt right.

At this point, there was nothing or nowhere she could find comfort in.

'Home's a mess with Mom pestering me if I was following orders. And sooner or later, Xander'll
show up and demand a training session. And I can't even go back to the fucking mailroom.' Scout thought to herself.

'Wish I could just go back to intercepting mail, or anything else but this. Xander even had a way of abusing my dream job, and now I have nothing but this stupid mission.'

Scout perked up as she saw Sumo running towards her with the tennis ball in his mouth. "Good job, buddy. And I thought you're mouth was too small! You're practically at the same level as a porn star!"

"Scout?" She heard behind her.

Turning around, she was face to face with the tall and lean blonde. Scout's heart race, "How long have you been there?"

JJ laughed, "Long enough to know that you act the same way at work as you do out in public."

"Hey, I thought you were a mormon for second there so you should be proud I didn't say any more."

"I saw a nun selling religion on my way here, I could still grab her if you want."

"Selling religion? No thanks, I bought some Islam yesterday." Scout smirked.