The Aftermath

Kim's POV

I am listening to my music being extremely bored. Nurse Nancy came in early this morning waking Jack and I, she told Jack he had to leave before the doctor came to see me because he wasn't suppose to be there. He promised he would come back later, but that was over three hours ago. For three hours I have been laying in my white hospital bed staring at the white hospital ceiling and the white hospital walls. In my three hours of staring I have decided that I hate the color white. My head shoots up from my pillow when I hear the door open, it was nurse Nancy. "Where have you been?" I ask yanking the headphones out of my ears. "Sorry sweetie I had to help in the trauma department." Nurse Nancy sighs, she looks exhausted. "What happened?" I ask concerned. "There was a really bad car pile up this morning, there were over twenty people in the trauma unit." She breathes recalling the memories. "But enough of that." She says waving off the thoughts with her hands.

"Why haven't I gotten to see my mom or sister?" I ask as nurse Nancy picks up the same clipboard she looks over every time she comes in. "Oh, I'm sorry honey but the doctor wants to talk to you before he allows any visitors it's just to make sure that you're stable, mentally." She exclaims and I groan throwing my head back on my pillow. "I know you're bored but the doctor should be in soon, so I don't think you will have to wait too much longer to see your friends and family." Nurse Nancy assures me.

"Thank you." I smile at her which she gladly returns. As I think about seeing my mom, I remember her tear stained face when I saw her last night. She looked so hurt and I knew it was partly because of me. I then remember my sister's harsh tone when she called me selfish, but she was right, I was being selfish and I hurt my family when they were already hurting. I am snapped out of my thoughts when a man in a white coat enters the room, his name tag said Dr. Fillion.

"Kimberly, I'm glad to see that you're doing better." He says as he checks the clipboard hanging at the end of my bed. "So will I be able to go home today?" I ask hopefully and Dr. Fillion frowns. "Miss Crawford, your condition isn't very adequate at the moment." He informs me and I become confused. "You just said that I was doing better." I point out. "Well physically yes, mentally I'm not so sure." I feel a bit offended by that statement. "So what does this mean for me?" I ask. "Well I would like to keep you for another day just to keep our eyes on you." He informs me. "What?" I practically yell. "Kim, sweetie just let him explain." Nurse Nancy interjects. I take a breath and nod for the doctor to continue. "It's just one more day and it's for your own good." He advocates. "I will also permit visitors, you are stable enough for that." He adds which helps a little. "Okay, thanks." I say in a monotone voice. He nods his head and leaves the room. "Trust me Kim the time will just fly by." Nurse Nancy assures me and I give her an unconvincing smile. "Look, honey I know things seem bleak at the moment but trust me it will get better." Nurse Nancy says reaching out to touch my shoulder. "Oh! I know just the thing to help!" Nurse Nancy shouts cheerfully hurrying out of the room. I giggle at her enthusiasm and stare at the door waiting for her to return.

Nurse Nancy returns ten minutes later, with Jack. I feel a smile creep up on my lips. "I'll leave you two alone." Nurse Nancy smiles leaving the room. "So how are you feeling today?" Jack questions taking a seat in the chair next to my bed. "Guilty." I reply with a frown. "Kim." Jack sighs. "I can't help it." I defend. "Honestly if you were in my position how would you feel?" I ask tilting my head towards Jack. "I see your point." Jack caves. "But that doesn't mean you should wallow in your guilt, it's not good for you." Jack adds pointedly. I nod agreeing with him. "Can we just talk about something else?" I ask getting tired of the topic we were on now, I have spent enough time alone thinking about all of the things I have done wrong in the past 48 hours. "Yeah what do you want to talk about?" Jack asks leaning back in his chair. "Food." I state looking over at Jack with a grin on my face. "Are you hungry?" Jack asks playing along with my over excited tone, and I nod my head vigorously. Jack chuckles and stands up from the chair he just sat down in. "I will be right back with your food." Jack leaves the room and a smile remains on my face, Jack made me never want to stop smiling.