Grief and burials

Harry

I remained kneeling by Hermione's side long after she had taken her last breath. Ron wiped the tears away from his face before reaching over and planting a kiss on Hermione's lips. "I loved you, Hermione Granger. I hope you will find peace in your afterlife."

Percy and Annabeth were standing off to the side, their hands intertwined. Annabeth had her head on Percy's shoulder and the two of them were staring at the battlefield littered with dead and injured bodies.

The teachers had set to work carting off the dead while the injured were carried to the hospital wing to be treated. When Kronos was killed, many of his army had fled while some had surrendered.

I returned my attention to Hermione and felt guilt rise up inside of me. If only I hadn't turned to watch Percy fight Kronos, then Hermione will still be alive. I placed a hand over her limp one and whispered "I'm sorry. If only I paid more attention then you would-would......." I trailed off as I felt tears drip down my face once again.

Footsteps approached and I glanced back to see Percy drop to his knees beside me, his green eyes trained on Hermione's unmoving body. "I'll make sure she gets Elysium for sure." "What's Elysium?" Ron asked in a choked voice.

"Where heroes go when they die. Hermione is obviously a hero." Percy leaned over and gently pulled the spear out of her chest and threw it aside. He wrapped his arms around Hermione and lifted her up. "Oi! Where are you taking her!?" Ron shouted, scrambling to his feet.

Percy glanced back, his eyebrows raised. "I'm taking her to Hogwarts, where the people who have died will be given burials. Unless you don't want Hermione to have one?" Ron scowled as he eyed Hermione's limp form in Percy's arms before he nodded slowly. "Okay. Thank you."

"Do us a favour too." Annabeth said, appearing beside Ron and I with a limp body in her arms. "Help us bring the dead inside." She didn't wait for a response as she followed Percy into the castle. I exchanged glances with Ron before we set off, walking through the blood stained grass. Other wizards raced around, helping the injured to the castle and picking up stray weapons along the way.

I stopped and swallowed as I looked at a girl with waist-length black hair lying motionless on the grass, a knife lodged in her throat. I saw her in the hallways around Hogwarts several times but I never knew her name. I pulled the knife out of her throat and set it aside before kneeling and wrapping my arms around her slender frame.

I lifted the girl up, and was surprised at how light she was. I walked over to Hogwarts where Ron was waiting for me at the entrance, a body in his arms. We both entered the castle at the same time and was met with people running all over the place. The stench of blood was all over the place as Ron and I entered the Great Hall to see bodies lined up in the middle of the room with white blankets covering their faces and bodies. Ron and I gently set down the people we were holding and watched as Professor Sprout threw a blanket over their bodies. 

Ron and I glanced at each other before hurrying out of the Great Hall to stand in the hallway. "I don't think I've seen this much death since the war with Voldemort." Ron muttered as more people brought in bodies from the battlefield. I nodded, my mind straying back to Hermione. I couldn't imagine how much her death had affected Ron. Those two loved each other. 

I sighed and I pushed those thoughts out my mind. I suddenly felt a sharp pain in my arm and I glanced down to see a cut slashed in my skin. Ron saw what I was looking at and grabbed my good arm, pulling me towards the stairs. "Come on, we're going to the hospital wing." 

We entered the hospital wing to see it full of people. All of the beds were occupied and many other wizards who were skilled in healing were sitting next to the injured, tending to their wounds and whispering soothing words to help calm them. I spotted Percy sitting in a chair at the end of the room. His back was to us and my eyes widened in surprise as he suddenly pulled his shirt off to reveal his muscular back. A deep gash ran from his shoulder blades to his waist. Annabeth appeared at her boyfriend's side with several pitchers of water and she poured one over Percy's back.