.Rise and Fall. (14)

|Chapter: 14|

We were engulfed by the peaceful silence inside the car until the tapping on the window started. It was raining again. I groaned internally thinking about the weather and then its weekend which meant I have to stay in my bed crawling.

I was looking at the tiny water droplets that slide down the glass window and suddenly remembered that I was still putting the apron on. How could I be so stupid? Slowly I slapped my forehead like always whenever I realise I did something stupid.

Nickel was staring at me with his one eyebrow raised, amused. Blood rushed to my cheeks as I felt more stupid. I took out the apron and place it on my lap before I turned back to look at the tripping water droplets. My phone buzzed in my pocket.

"Hey, Sal", I picked up the call and tried not to sound awkward, or anything in front of Nickel.

"When are you getting off the hook,Ser? I'll be there to pick you up." I immediately smiled hearing that, he was so considerate.

"Err, I.. actually we closed early. So I'm already on my way back home. Maybe next time", I said looking at Nickel who had his eyes fixed on the road ahead, his sharp jaws clenched.

"Fine. Be safe", he warned.

"Okay, bye." I hung up and turned my attention back to the slipping water drops.

When he pulled into his driveway there was a faint light coming out of his house. I was surprised to see that. Did his parents come back? I wondered silently. 

Because seeing lights on in his house is very rare thing, no scratch that its the rarest thing. That's when I noticed a person walking inside the house through the window.

"Is Mrs. Black here?", I asked without even realising it came out from my mouth. Mrs. Black is a kind woman and the only person who looked normal in the Black family.

Mr. Black was always a busy man wearing his black suit he would be out of the town for weeks. I have never seen him smile whereas his wife smiled at all the people that passes by her house even to the strangers. Maybe, Nickel took after his dad. Always keeping that straight stone like cold face.

Beside me, I noticed him sitting stiffly as he replied with a "No."

I fiddled the hem of my shirt with my finger, slowly nodding my head even when I wasn't satisfied with his answer. But who was I to question him, right?

I tucked a lock of loose hair behind my ear, bitting my lower lip nervously as I said, "Thank you for bringing me home."

"Stop doing that", his voice came out somewhat husky.

I whipped my head to look at him only to find him staring at my lips. There was something different in the way he look at them, making the atmosphere thick in the small space. And I lost all my senses when he stuck his tongue out and licked his own lower lip. It took everything in me not to fantasise about his full pink lips.

I cleared my throat, "What?"

He looked away from my lips and stared straight infront with a blank expression coming back on his face like a mask before saying, "Stop working at the diner."

"No...I I can't do that", I said before unlocking the door and stepping out of his car. Damn! I forgot about the rain. I was soaking wet with the heavy down pour as I started to walk to my house.

Before I could even cross his lawn, I was pulled towards a hard chest by my arm. As I look up to see the owner of the hard chest, I met his dark eyes. Instead of anger like I thought, they were glassy. Must be the rain, I brushed it off before I started to shove him away from me.