.Rise and Fall. (74)

I always got the sense that he became torn
Between being a good person and
Missing out on all of the opportunities
That life could offer a man as magnificent as him

And in that way I understood him
And I loved him.

~Lana Del Rey.
.....

|Chapter: 74|

"I.. I'm his friend", I stated hesitantly.

The old lady behind the reception's table with short grey hair and glasses on her nose peeked through them. I rocked back and forth on my heels nervously as I waited for her to me give the information already.

"He is under Dr. Kimbell's care and not really allow any visitors.. so I'm sor.."

Before she could apologise and sent me back, I cut her off. "Please, do you know if I can meet Dr. Kimbell by any chance?", I pleaded.

After Daniel said those three horrible words that I don't even want to think about, I felt the ground underneath my feet shake. He cannot, he is too young for that, I kept chanting in my mind when deep down I knew a kid won't lie about such thing. I dropped my shopping bags back home and rushed here. So, I'm not going anywhere without knowing his condition. I'm even ready to get on my knees and beg if that's what I have to do to see him, just once.

She watched me carefully for some seconds before nodding her head slowly. "Take a left from here and there is his cabin with his name on the door. You better move now before he enters in the operation centre", she instructed. I scurried away from there giving her a small nod and thanking her.

Not wasting a second, I knocked on the door the moment I saw his name plate on it.

"Come in", said a groggy tired voice from the other side. I opened the door and poked out my head first to see a man in his baby blue uniform, a stethoscope around his neck and reports in his hand.

"Yes Miss?", he asked closing the file in his hand. I came in and closed the door behind me slowly.

"Hello, I'm Serena. I was... I mean I would like to see Ethan.. Ethan Morish. He.. he... is he okay?" The last part came out as a whisper as I watch my shoes. What am I even saying?

"Williams?", he asked and I looked up immediately only to see his amused face. I nodded. Before I could ask how did he know my last name, he continued.

"Ethan talks about you most of the time. His pumpkin, ain't you?"

Not knowing what to say or do in return, I nodded again. Why would he talk about me?

"And to answer your previous question, he is okay.... for now", he added, slowly the last part thinking and that's what scared me.

"What happened to him?", I asked finally finding my voice.

"Take a seat Miss. Williams", he said politely walking around the table to take his own seat. I sat down across from him with my sweaty palms resting on my knees and gripping it like to gain some strength. I wish it is not as bad as I heard, I said a little prayer inside my head.

"Did he tell you about his mother's death?", he asked out of the blues. I reculantly shook my head up and down with a small voice saying, "Yes."

"Did he tell you that it was him, riding the car when that accident took place?"

I shook my head no at him. But what?

"Yes it was him.... Ethan didn't knew about the complications going inside his skull two months ago. They were driving to Jerry's cafe, when suddenly his brain cells dysfunction making him lose his vision temporarily before he hit an oil tank. He survived the accident but his mother unfortunately couldn't. It was a tragic..", he sighed. I was speechless. I don't drive, his words came rushing back in my mind. And I hate myself for the way I reacted in return. "Later when we did a scanning on him, we found out he has chordoma."