.Rise and Fall. (49)

|Chapter: 49|

"After forty years when Landon is at the age 57, he still loves Jamie and wears her ring. The story finishes by him saying, 'I now believe, by the way that miracles can happen'", I finished the story quoting the last part as I fold his last shirt.

"Thats it?", he asked sitting up from his sleeping position like he couldn't digest the ending. "Yeah", I said walking towards the wardrobe to put the clothes in.

"But that's total bullcrap. I mean what a fucking tragic end", he frowned. Thats how I felt the first time too. After reading for the uncountable times I've got used to it. I even remember few quotes.

"Not all stories have a happy ending. We should concentrate more in what it taught us through the journey."

"And what exactly is that?"

"They were two different worlds. Despite that something held them together, love", it felt weird to say the word love with him. "There's a movie too. The plot is a bit different but eventually draws back our attention to the same thing", I tried to lighten up the mood.

I closed the door and when I turned around to see him, he seemed to be in a deep thought. He was just staring in the distance looking lost. "Nick?"

He shook his head and look up at me. "Can I tell you a story?"

"Yes why not." I excitedly sat down at the chair. He sat at the edge of the bed and studied his hands for a while before he started.

"There was.. this little boy. He was good but not as good as his brother. He wanted to be loved like the way everyone loved Jade. But.. but they...", he looked away, unable to continue with his story. Then I realised that little boy is him.

I quickly stood up before I ran to him. I engulfed him in a hug. He held me tight, his face buried in my stomach. He was shaking.

"Its okay you don't have to say." I rubbed his back, resting my face on his head. I wish I could take his pain away. He shook his head negatively.

"Fuck! I don't want to lose you."

"I'm here always." I kissed his hair.

He pulled me on the bed with him. We sat facing each other, legs folded and I saw the way his eyes were burning red, like he was about to cry. It hurt me so much to look at him, his dishevelled state but still good looking.

"Jade was the perfect son any parents could ask for", he started again. "He had straight A in every report card and the only A I had was in sports. Being the smart kid he always got everything his way and dad supported him all along. He kept mocking me how everyone in the family loved him more than me. I was angry, hurt and at some point I started to doubt if I was really their blood. Indeed, I wasn't. My mom had an affair with a guy, my biological father." He paused, breathing deeply. "Anyway, I wanted everything Jade had except Julia Arrington, the girl he was crazily in love with. And yes, she is Stella's sister."

I nodded slowly telling him to go on.

"On Jade's fourteenth birthday, Arringtons came to our house to celebrate. Dad kept on ranting about his perfect son on and on during the whole meal. He didn't even once complimented about the soccer trophy I achieved on the same day. I didn't need that but just one congratulation is what I wanted or even a pat on my back would've been enough. I was so done with Jade and his perfect life. I really despised him with every bone in my body so I decided to give him the best birthday gift...", he said gloomily.

8 years ago.
(Nickel's POV)

"Why don't you kids go and play while we set the barbecue?", my mom chirped happily walking around the house.