.Rise and Fall. (35)

|Chapter: 35|

"Nana that name sucks", Nick said as he walk to the old lady in her night gown. He bent down a little to peck her cheek and I smiled at that warm gesture. It turns out, he can be gentle too. These explains everything, why the wall is filled with photos of the Black family and why Nick has a key to the room. But why does his grandma stay in an oldage home?

"You deserve that name. For many reasons", she said smugly. "Over there, who is the beautiful girl?", she asked looking back at me.

I shifted uncomfortably on my feet looking at my interlaced fingers. My cheeks were probably pink from blushing beacuse how can she call me beautiful when I'm only in my sweats and I'm sure my hair probably looks like a bird's nest.

"Ella es la niña, Nana", Nick answered quietly and here comes that different language again. I wanted to ask him what was he telling her, but I didn't want to seem rude.

I had no clue, but next thing I know, she pulled me to her and engulfed me in her warm embrace. I was shocked, but eventually I hugged her back.

"Finally the girl I've been waiting for years to meet", she pulled away.

Years? Did I hear that right?

Then she turn towards Nick,"Took you long enough. Now I should change your name to grumpy pants because you finally grew some balls."

It was entertaining to see her teasing him. They seemed pretty close, Nick would roll his eyes but he kept smiling at her and I know that smile, his happy smile. I had no idea what were they talking about, but I couldn't help the smile that formed on my face seeing him happy.

"Girl we have a lot of catching up to do", she pulled me by my wrist, leading me to her bed while Nick followed behind. I sat down slowly so that I don't crumble the neatly pulled over sheet.

Nick being typical him jumped on the bed before laying down with his arms behind his head, "I'm taking a nap and you guys can continue." He pulled out his headphones and ipod from his jacket, plugging in, he closed his eyes.

I felt a pair of hands on top of my hands that were placed on my lap. She took them in her wrinkled ones smiling at me like I've given her the biggest reason to smile, the grateful one.

"Thank you", was all she said making me utterly shocked. For what?

"I don't have the slightest idea what you're are thanking me for. But really you don't have to", I said truthfully squeezing her hands lightly.

"Ah, if only you knew girl", she said mostly to herself and shook her head. "Anyways, I'm Maria Black but you can call me Nana just like Nick does."

"That means you own this place?", I asked when I realised it is the same name as of the oldage home.

She nodded smiling. "I'm a richie rich Nana."

I laughed as he wiggled her eyebrows playfully. "Where do I start from? Nick's childhood embarrassing stories sounds good?" She glanced at him.

I nodded impatiently.

"This one time I remember I think he was only six when....."

She went on telling me stories to which I couldn't contain my laugh. She was fun. I wonder if the whole Black family was fun to be it. I mean I always thought Nick to be gloomy but nothing near to fun. And now see how wrong was I all these years. I almost feel empty without him and his jolly mood on. It took him only two weeks for making me feel the things I never felt before.

Everytime she narrated his embarrassing stories she'd glance at his sleeping form every now and then like he and his happiness were the most precious thing to her. Nana truly loved him. I could bet my life on it that she'd do anything just to see him happy.