Chapter 1: Before it all began

Azelia's P.O.V

"Azelia, Azelia!" my mother calls. "AZELIA!"

I hear my name for the third time and I still don't answer. I just want to lay here and not be bothered. It's finally my birthday but my only wish right now is to binge watch and eat potato chips. I didn't know I would become an introvert when all my childhood I have been such an extrovert. That started to change once I turned thirteen. That's when I started to care less about my social life.

Fitting in has never been on my agenda. Popularity isn't necessary for my opinion. Being noticed or seen has never appealed to me. Having a hot boyfriend has never grasped my interest and being invited to parties weren't things I looked forward to when I became a freshman at Rosepelt High. Getting high with a bunch of strangers or sleeping with every guy that asks for my phone number has never been on my bucket list. And even if I had a bucket list, neither of those things would be on it.

It doesn't matter to me whether or not I have friends. In fact, my social circle consists of only my best friend and me. It is just the two of us and I am quite okay with that. He is all the friends I ever needed anyways and out of all I have ever had he has been in my life the longest. I can lose all the others but once I still have him I'm cool.

Puberty has been a little kinder to me than most. Going through the change I don't get excessive acne but I do wake up with one or two when I'm on my period. My body odor is higher than usual but I keep it under control. I also have hair growth in areas I didn't but that is also controllable. What I hate is the hormonal changes, the thing they call mood swings. The starting of my teen years has put me into a shell; not that I'm complaining but sometimes I get depressed for no reason. I will have nothing to worry about but then I get in my moods where nothing is wrong but nothing feels right either. My hormones don't only arouse bad emotions or feelings. There is another common feeling I get every now and again but I never surrender to it. I'm not gonna get too much into talking about that in particular though.

***

I squeeze my pillow over my head to block out my mother's voice. I knew soon she would come barging in if she doesn't get an answer.

*Bloooffff! *

My mom barges in as expected. "Happy birthday sweetheart! It's your day! To shine! Because your fourteen! And you're growing up into a beautiful young woman!"

She is loud and perky as always. I guess once a cheerleader always a cheerleader, at heart. I already have a morning headache. I could be listening to music at full volume with my headphone on and still hear her calling me from downstairs. I wish I am this energetic when I hit my thirties.

"Mom could you for once knock before you barge in?" I say with a disturbed face. "Am I not allowed to have privacy?"

She began mumbling, "what could a fourteen-year-old possibly be hiding that she needs privacy? Do we need to have another mother-daughter talk, young lady?"

"Mom." I roll my eyes. "Nobody sneaks into my room at night. I think you are getting a little ahead of yourself. At least get curious at the right time. The boys in my 9th-grade class are still immature and play mobile games every day. They still haven't learned the concept of the vagina. Surprising I know but give them another year or so. Then you can worry about if I sneak a boy in my room to get into my pants."

"You have a smart mouth for a girl who can't make her own breakfast." She points a finger at me. "Start getting cheeky and you will have to do everything yourself. Such as wash your own clothes, make your own meals..."

I sigh. "Mom stop. I get it but you don't have to worry about me. There is nothing you could tell me that I don't already know. You don't have to sit me down and tell me stuff that everyone my age knows. It's the 21st century."