Chapter 10: Canceled postcard to death

Azelia's P.O.V

"Be calm...Azelia be calm..." I whisper to myself as I stoop down behind a bush.

There were three men and a girl on the other side doing some sort of trade. One of the men is holding a breifcase filled with guns and the girl has stacks of cash in her hand. I've been walking all morning and a bit of bad luck caught me when it was getting late so I took a familiar shortcut. Its now 3:56am. Turns out nowhere in Rosepelt is safe anymore.

"Why did I have to walk down this shortcut!?" I curse at myself silently.

I remain stooped there in fear of my life. Why is there so much violence going on here now? It wasn't like this!

"Thanks Anthony. I'll see you when I see you. Tell the rest I said hi." The familiar voice says.

"Sure thing. See you later brother." The guy he was referring to replies.

The car drives off and the man starts his bike while he waits for the female to get on.

"Nathan baby, the night is still young. Let's go for a quick meal at that new restaurant-" The female speaks.

But then he interrupts her, "I'm never taking you out, know that. You ain't nothing I look for in a girl and besides I got no heart for relationships. Settle in your place. If you got a problem then leave me the fuck alone, simple as that."

NATHAN!? No wonder his voice was so familiar. I know it, I know him. It was him all along. But what the fuck Nathan!? It was him doing all this all along!

"Nathan is that you!?" I yell and jump up before my body was ready to.

He stops and the girl cocks her head over his shoulder. She had on a blue mask so I couldn't see her face. Nathan also has on a black mask so I cannot see his face either.

"Whose this bitch?" the female insults.

She also sounded familiar. Its Rosepelt so it might not be strange to see familiarity with people who I most likely have crossed paths with somehow. The only thing I could see though is her long blonde hair.

"Say another word and you're dead, shut your ass up!" he shouts angrily.

Is he upset because she offended me? Is he defending me? Its quite unnecessary in a moment like this but thats enough to make a girl feel good. He doesn't hate me afterall and regardless of the situation we are in right now I am glad. I still don't feel scared. Maybe its because I somehow subconsciously knew it was him from the beginning.

He says nothing more neither does she. I was unsure just what to say as I stand infront of the bike. So much I could say but what do I say first? Where do I start?

"Don't come through this shortcut again." he warns and rides off without another word.

The female was gripping unto his body and gave me a devilish smile. Why is she so familiar too? The way she smiles even rings a bell.

I just want to hug him so badly but he didn't even look interested to talk. But wait... So he's a criminal now!? What could have made my sweet and funny Nathan like this? He was never the type. Never smoked, didn't over drink or take drugs. He was a good enough kid. He is eighteen, why would he choose this for his career? He had such big plans but this wasn't one of them. I feel confused and sympathetic, and a little disappointed too.

I wanted to ask so many questions, its been abput two or so years. We've grown up now, we should be able to have a conversation that's not petty.

...

Later that day I went back into that shortcut hiding behind that same bush, awaiting to see Nathan come back here. I've been here for roughly two hours and my butt is sore. Maybe he's not coming back through here today. I still decided to wait and I waited and waited. Its now 10:46pm.

I should really get home. Besides due to how I see things, my hometown isn't safe and peaceful anymore. I got up and made a big stretch. It was dark and I could barely see the narrow road I'm walking on. Its cold and I feel scared, there are weird sounds coming from my corners.

"Ghosts are not real. They don't exist." I keep repeating to myself while I try to be brave.

I have a weird feeling as if someone is following me. I look behind me and see a man walking up close.

"Nathan is that you!?" I ask loudly.

The man did not answer. This made me even more terrified. I speed up ahead, I look back again. This time there are three men. I run ahead, and two more men appear infront of me. It looks as if they have me surrounded.

THIS IS IT!!! I'M DEAD!!

I stood there too scared to move. I mumbled a short prayer and closed my eyes. They caught up to me and one of them put a knife to my neck. And as he was about to cut my throat...

"BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM!!!!!!"

Gunshots and all five of them are on the ground dead and bleeding like hell. I am still frozen and shaking. I hear a bike riding up close. I am still in the middle of the kill expecting to get shot too but instead...

"Get on and hold on tight!" he says as he took off the helmet and put it on my head.