Hamburger

HAMBURGER

Topic: Food

By: Promoting and Organizing Department

Why is called "hamburger?"

Why is it "Where's the beef?" when it should be "Where's the ham?"

According to Wikipidea, the term hamburger originally derives from Hamburg, Germany's second largest city, from which many people emigrated to the United States. In High German, Burg means fortified settlement or fortified refuge and is a widespread component of place names.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamburger

Hamburger, in the German language, is the demonym of Hamburg. It is believed that Germans who settled in the US brought the term hamburger to them. This version of the origin of the delectable snack is already a common knowledge amongst us.

Aside from the more common version of the Hamburg, Germany origin, there is another version about the history of Hamburgers.

In 1802 the Oxford English Dictionary defined 'Hamburg steak' as salt beef. Referring to ground beef as 'hamburger' dates to the invention of the mechanical meat grinder during the 1860s.The modern hamburger (on a bun) appears during World War I. The White Castle restaurant chain was established in 1916 at Wichita, Kansas and by the early 1920s sold hamburgers.

The history of the hamburger is actually more complicated. Who actually invented the first hamburger remains a mystery.

Five things you don't know about hamburgers:

#1: Despite its American popularity, we have the Germans to thank for our beloved hamburger.

#2: Hamburgers are also called the Liberty Sandwich because soldiers during WWI wanted to avoid using the German name.

#3: The Hamburger hall of fame is located in Seymour, Wisconsin.

#4: Burgers account for 40% of all sandwiches sold. (2001)

#5: The biggest hamburger ever served weighed 8,266 lbs. It was cooked in 2001 at the Burger Fest in Seymour, Wisconsin.

Five kinds of burgers you might never heard of:

1. Steakhouse Burger, Chops Chicago @Greenbelt 5 This burger bears all the characteristics of a nice, juicy piece of steak. It is thick, uncomplicated and full of flavor. The black Angus ground beef is prepared by hand, seared to your liking and topped with double smoked bacon, blue cheese and an organic sunny side-up egg

2. Smoked Bacon Cheeseburger, Blackwood Bistro @Venice Piazza Just listening to the waiter’s narration on how it is prepared, I could tell it would be a good burger. Start with the patty—made of pure sirloin beef, it is seasoned with just salt and pepper before being seared to the right temperature, creating a nice, crusty exterior without drying up the inside, preserving all the juices of the meat or what I call “the good stuff.” A slice of Egmont cheese and generous strips of maple-smoked bacon are added on top to provide added texture and flavor. Finally, truffle-flavored butter is smeared on a Kaiser bun before it, too, is seared. And, to top it off, a nice pickle provides an acidic kick that goes well with the smoky-beefy flavor.

3. Demi-Pound Burger, Lusso @Greenbelt 5 The simplicity of this burger is its beauty. A thick Angus beef patty and foie gras served in a homemade Dutch Crunch bun make for a flavorful combination. Add Combozola cheese sauce in the mix and it is sheer bliss. What’s great about the taste is that the foie gras, while distinct, is not overpowering, since it is mixed in the patty, not just placed on top, lending a more even taste to every bite. The bread remains firm and crusty and does not crumble as it absorbs the richness of the beef, the foie gras and Cambozola sauce. The burger comes with side greens and fries and, if you really want, grilled onions to provide a little sweetness. Even if its components are few, this burger tops it all. It is what a burger should be: uncomplicated and filled with flavor.

4. FC Burger, Florabel @The Podium Using the initials of the restaurant’s owner Florabel Co, the FC burger is 180 grams of pure Angus beef served on toasted sesame bun. Generous portions of foie gras and caramelized onions accompany the burger, providing a contrasting acidic and sweet taste that actually works well when combined. A side salad complete with fresh greens, cherry tomatoes and shaved Parmesan is served, while chips made from real potatoes and a truffle mayo dip take the place of fries. I guess if you name a dish after the chef, you better make sure it’s good—and, indeed, it is.

5. Nolita Burger, Nolita @ Bonifacio High Street Central Nolita is a small New York-style restaurant in Bonifacio High Street Central. It offers several burgers, including the Nolita Burger, a well-rounded burger with a thick, salty crust, moist inside with a strong beefy flavor. The burger is topped by blue cheese and caramelized onions, but if you are just after the meat you can ask them to drop the onions. You bite into this burger and let out an audible squelch, as your palate is filled with an intense, pure beef flavor. Fries are not included—actually the place has none, at least not in the traditional sense. Instead, it offers fresh potato-chip fries, which are thicker versions of what we buy in the supermarket and give you more potato with every bite.

A gift of love: Free recipe to all burger addicts!

Steak House Burger Recipe

TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Grill: 10 min.

MAKES: 4 servings

Ingredients

5 tablespoons mayonnaise

4-1/2 teaspoons prepared horseradish

1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese

3 tablespoons butter, softened, divided

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

4 hamburger buns, split

1-1/2 pounds ground turkey or beef

1/4 cup steak sauce

4-1/2 teaspoons onion soup mix

4 slices Swiss cheese

1-1/2 pounds sliced fresh mushrooms

2 green onions, chopped

1/4 cup French-fried onions

Sliced tomato and lettuce, optional

Directions

1. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise and horseradish; cover and refrigerate until serving. In another small bowl, combine Parmesan cheese, 1 tablespoon butter and garlic powder; spread over bun tops. Set aside.

2. In a large bowl, combine the beef, steak sauce and onion soup mix. Shape into four patties.

3. Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, lightly coat the grill rack. Grill burgers, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear.

4. Top with Swiss cheese; cover and grill 1-2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Place buns, cut side down, on grill for 1-2 minutes or until toasted.

5. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute mushrooms and green onions in remaining butter until tender. Serve burgers on buns; top with horseradish sauce, French-fried onions, mushroom mixture and, if desired, tomato and lettuce. Yield: 4 servings.

(source: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/stake-house-burger)