Featured TV Show: The Vampire Diaries

By: athena_writes

Vampires, mythical beings in various folklores said to feed on the life essence of human, blood as they say. While vampires were traditionally horrific and wicked, modern interpretations often re-imagine the fanged bloodsuckers as more delicate and complex entities. Vampire fiction usually deals with the human protagonist’s encounter with a vampire, their idealistic relationship with a vampire, or his or her transformation into a vampire themselves. Other conflicts may include vampire-hunting or drama within the vampire coven, with other supernatural elements and characters such as witches and sorcery.

The Vampire Diaries is a work of fiction written by L.J Smith, and was turned into TV series by CW. Umiikot ito kay Elena Gilbert isang mortal na, nahulog at nagkagusto kay Stefan isang 163-year old na bampira.  Most critics often reviewed the first episodes of TVD as another ‘Twilight’ copy-cat.  But after watching 4-6 episodes of it, unti unti lumabas ang uniqueness niya, proving itself rightful not to be compared with Twilight. It doesn’t just talk about the vampire culture, marami pa itong tinatalakay na iba’t ibang character, tulad na lamang ng mga witches, werewolves, and hunters. Mas marami din itong ibinibigay na ‘facts’ about the original culture and characteristics of each supernatural characters. By the end of the fourth episode the main story lines pick up and take off, na kahit yung mga maliliit na scenes na akala mo ay hindi importante turns out to be important. 

With its smart writing, good acting, excellent storytelling, and wonderful viewing this story takes risks. Namamatay ang mga characters without any warning keeping the thrill, characters do and experience things you wouldn't have thought possible. At mas maganda pa, walang character sa storya nito na kakagalitan at kaiinisan mo ng buong buo, dahil na rin sa unique personality at background ng bawat isa.

Sa ngayon, meron na itong 6 seasons, but still the magic in its story hasn’t gone out. This show only gets better. The lesser episodes are still fantastic, and the truly great ones are rich with everything, kung saan hindi ako maaring manood ng isang episode without cursing the screen to give me more. Admittedly this show turned out to be one of my addiction and guilty pleasure keeping me watching all night. With no doubt, it doesn’t surprise me to know that it received numerous award nominations, winning four People's Choice Award and many Teen Choice Awards.