Bloody Mary

BLOODY MARY

By: imbethqui

Looking for a game to play this Halloween? Do you know the game “bloody Mary”?

Bloody Mary is a folklore legend consisting of a ghost or spirit conjured to reveal the future. She is said to appear in a mirror when her name is called three times. The Bloody Mary apparition may be benign or malevolent, depending on historic variations of the legend. The Bloody Mary appearances are mostly "witnessed" in group participation games.

Now, who the heck is Mary? There are several possible sources of this scary icon:

o It is said that there was once a woman known as Mary Worth who lived almost 100 years ago in England. Claims were made about this woman being a witch. [1]The people put a mirror in front of her to show Bloody Mary her shame as she died. Each person sliced her face while she watched in the mirror. Suddenly, she cursed the town and swore to seek vengeance on them all. Finally, the father of the child she had harmed thrust the fatal stab, killing her. Her spirit is said to be trapped in the mirror, waiting for someone to believe in her so she may be released.

o Going back even further, the Mary may have been Mary I, Queen of England, who was known as Bloody Mary for her treatment of people (burning at the stake) during her short reign. She was possessed in her quest to return England to the Roman Church. Mary went on to burn reformers at the stake by the hundreds for the "crime" of being a Protestant.

o More recently, some say Mary was the victim of a horrific car accident.[4]

o Some even say that Mary lived in the woods and was a witch. The little girls in the nearby village began disappearing one by one. It was a mystery until the villagers found out that Mary used the girls' blood to make her skin softer, and their souls to give her a younger appearance (hence the name Bloody Mary). As a punishment, they burned her at the stake. Right before she was put into flames, Bloody Mary said she would appear in mirrors if conjured up in front of one.

o Some people claim that she was a woman who was killed by her boss. Then, she came back to kill him and anyone else who says her name.

How to Play Bloody Mary

Bloody Mary is a very old, very frightening game—and not particularly pleasant! Does the game Bloody Mary really call this darkly haunted spirit, or is it just powerful imagination playing tricks on the gullible? There's only one way to find out for sure. Curious? If you're brave enough, we'll show you how to play, but be forewarned: you may never be the same! · Understand the origins of Bloody Mary. If you know a little historical background, you'll have a better idea what you might expect, and what first-aid supplies you should keep on hand. This game's origins are lost in the mists of time, so the stories we are left with in the twenty-first century are varied and mysterious.

· Gather your tokens. Since you are reading this step, it is assumed that you have reached the point of no return and convinced everyone that this game is worth playing for a few scares and thrills. Begin by assembling the items that you will need: a candle, a bathroom with a mirror, some friends (preferably including at least one who screams well), and a cell phone: you never know what could happen!

· You want to make sure you have at least one other person playing. Some people prefer having only one person go into the bathroom to increase tension in all the players. If you're playing the game this way, do not lock the bathroom door. That way, if someone wants to leave quickly, they do not freak out when they cannot open the door.

· Reach out to her. Have one person touch the mirror with one hand and the others hold hands, including the free hand of the person touching the mirror.

· Turn on the faucet. Having water running may help call the spirit, because according to some legends, that was the last thing Bloody Mary heard before being brutally murdered.

· Begin chanting: "Bloody Mary, Bloody Mary, Bloody Mary..."

· Continue chanting slowly, 3 to 30 times. Chanting "Bloody Mary" thirteen times is the most popular count. The exact wording and the amount of times to speak the words can vary considerably.

· Watch the mirror. Believe that what you do or do not see is a personal, subjective experience—if that belief gives you comfort. Remember that you may or may not have control over your own mind. Who knows? What you see may just be your imagination—or it might be Bloody Mary herself!

Stop when you have had enough! Once you are sufficiently terrified and quaking in your shoes, quickly leave the bathroom and breathe some fresh air. Laugh to release the nervous tension, and apply first aid to any wounds Bloody Mary may have given you. The game has had its impact and it's time to go and relax.

WARNINGS

· Don't force anyone to play the game if they're uncomfortable with it!

· Don't force a young kid to do this. It's not funny and you could leave them scared for days! If they are sensitive, you could scar them for life.

· Whatever you do, don't let Bloody Mary out of the bathroom. She won't be able to be stopped.

· Don't panic. Most of the excitement and thrill is the build-up to the game and you have all probably scared one another witless.

Now, are you brave enough to do this game?