Corona Virus Is One Contagious Crown

TITLE: Coronavirus Is One Contagious Crown

TOPIC: Health: Coronavirus

 WRITTEN BY: Ryanne Salve

An outbreak of a disease emerged in Southern China in November 2002. This disease was unknown to the everyone, especially to the experts in Science and Medicine. It was only in February 2003 when the said infection was officially named after several reported cases in Asia. To these medical and scientific experts, the causative agent of this infection came from the same family as the common cold; however, it was not one found in human beings. They theorized that the agent came from animals and had evolved into another strain that infected humans. This causative agent that shocked the medical world was the cause of the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS).

SARS is a contagious and sometimes fatal viral respiratory infection caused by a strain of coronavirus (SARS-CoV). In the early 2003, the infection had spread across the globe to 37 countries, especially in Asia, North and South America, and Europe. SARS was responsible for the 8,273 cases and 775 deaths in the affected countries, with most reported incidence in Hong Kong.

Like the common colds, pneumonia, or most respiratory illnesses, SARS is transmitted through droplets and to the air, especially when the patients talks, sneezes, or coughs. Seemingly harmless inanimate objects like the table or the doorknob can also be contaminated by droplet spray. For those reasons, people who care for the SARS patients (such as family members and health care workers) are prone to infection. People with weak immune system, as well as the elderly, most often those with conditions like diabetes mellitus, are also prone to get sick with SARS.

Signs and symptoms of SARS will start out like the common flu. A SARS patient will experience muscle aches, chills, fever, and some diarrhea. Over a course of a week, the patient will experience shortness of breath, dry cough, and a fever of 38 degrees Centrigade or higher. If the signs and symptoms are not addressed the soonest, the infection can progress to pneumonia, which usually results to the use of the mechanical ventilator. Advanced signs of the disease include heart and liver failure, as well as respiratory failure, which is pointed out to be the most common cause of deaths.

Up to date, there is no hallmark sign of the infection. There was no specific laboratory test to assist the physician in the diagnosis of the infection when the infection was out back in 2003. Even the results of the chest X-ray are varied, with no definite appearance of the disease. The World Health Organization had set out guidelines on how to confirm the diagnosis based on approved laboratory test when chest x-rays did not show some signs.

The good news is, since 2004, there had been no new cases reported.

However, a decade since the onset of SARS in Southern China, another strain of coronavirus was detected in another Asian country--this time, in Saudi Arabia. The new type of flu was discovered after the genome sequence of the causative agent had been detected in the sputum samples of some flu patients. This new infection was termed as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS).

MERS is a viral respiratory infection caused by a coronavirus of the same family as the common cold and SARS. The virus, which was initially termed as novel coronavirus 2012 or novel coronavirus, is officially labeled as MERS-CoV. In the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia alone, there had been 689 reported cases and 283 deaths. Since then, cases had been tallied from the countries in the Middle East, Asia, Europe, Africa, and the United States. It had been reported that there are reported cases from people who had traveled from the Middle East, hence the spread outside the country.

MERS-CoV can also be spread through droplet spray, but unlike the common cold, SARS, or any known illness in the coronavirus family, it is not spread easily from person to person. So, who are easily at risk? People who care in close contact, such as health care providers and family members, are prone to infection. The elderly, especially those with chronic illnesses, and those with weak immune system, are prone to infection.

Signs and symptoms of MERS-CoV include shortness of breath, cough, high fever, diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting. Like SARS, MERS-CoV can also progress to pneumonia if not treated promptly. Organ injury can also occur.

As of June 2014, 22 countries had been affected by MERS-CoV.

Mentioned in this article are two contagious infections caused by the coronavirus. Both infections had been making headlines all over the world and had been the cause of medical concern among nations. But really, what is a coronavirus?

The coronavirus is a virus that had been causing numerous contagious diseases such as the common cold, SARS, and MERS. The virus is responsible for infectious diseases not only among humans but also among animals. It hails from the family Coronaviridae. There are two subfamilies in that family, namely Torovirinae and Coronavirinae. Under the electron microscope, the coronavirus exhibits the characteristic virions with noticeable projections on the surface like the corona of the sun. That was how the coronavirus got its name. It was during the 1960s when the said virus was discovered after specimens from the nasal cavities of cold patients were obtained and studied.

The coronavirus is contagious, but proper handling of patients and health education are helpful to prevent spreading of the disease. However, because the causative agent is a virus, antibiotics will not do any good. There isn’t any vaccine at all for MERS-CoV. Measures are mostly supportive. Therefore, antipyretics, increased fluid intake, and oxygen are therapy are given to the patient. As for SARS patients, they are isolated in negative pressure rooms.

So, how can infection caused by coronavirus be minimized? Here are some things you need to know:

Wash your hands often with soap and clean water for at least 20 seconds. An alcohol-based hand sanitizer is also effective in killing disease-causing germs. If you are caring for a family member (or a patient) who is exhibiting active signs of any infection caused by coronavirus, wear surgical mask. It would be best to wear protective eye gear to prevent droplet spray from coming in contact with your eyes. Wear gloves, as there is a great chance of getting in contact with the patient’s bodily fluids. Dispose mask and gloves after use, and wash hands thoroughly. Cover your nose and mouth when coughing or sneezing, and through tissue away. After doing so, wash hands promptly. If you are caring for a patient, avoid rubbing your eyes, nose, or face. Do so only after thorough handwashing. Disinfect surfaces well. Wash utensils often, and avoid sharing utensils and other objects with the patient. Increase resistance to illnesses and promote good immunity by eating nutritious food, especially fruits and vegetables that are rich in Vitamin C. Because the MERS-CoV is closely monitored, people who had traveled from the Middle East or affected countries and had shown signs of MERS-CoV infection with 14 days since travel should seek help immediately. Be honest and thorough in giving your travel history to your doctor. Again: wash your hands, wash your hands, and wash your hands.

Indeed, coronavirus can cause very contagious diseases, with some cases that have increased mortality rates. MERS-CoV is still posing a threat, and no one can tell whether SARS will attack again or not. With health education and public awareness, these infectious disease can be dealt with accordingly, and lives can be saved.