1. The fairytale

Chapter one

5th of February, 2019.

Hadeja road, Kano city.

"What's up!" Annie chirps through the phone. She seems to be in a really good mood.

"Oh Annie! I need to make cakes so bad. My talent is diminishing Wallahi. Customers are scarce in Kano state. I mean why don't they ever celebrate their birthdays in style!" I complain.

Annie laughs.

"Kai Mira! Just tell me you realized you are broke and you finally want to make money" she teases.

"Oh the ease when others just read your mind! I don't need to say pim!" I smile.

"Yup!" Annie grins.

"So. What's the business proposal? Does Ya Eman has extra cash? Should I make him an accidental birthday cake? Like I have forgotten his real birthday or something?" I suggest in good fun.

"Planning to guilt trip him into paying? Won't work! That stupid fake girl friend of his has finally bankrupted him! Ya Zain refuses to send him money. The poor guy is having a high fever because she broke up with him!" Annie explains.

No surprise there. Hopefully his broken heart will mend with positive energy this time. The guy is always getting his heart broken.

You know what they say, girls know how to fake smiles, guys know how to fake feelings.

I pray the next girl he meets doesn't fake the smile and he doesn't need to fake not knowing she faked the smile in the first place!

Like, puleaseee! Let's avoid the next heartbreak story!

"What about Ya Kashim?" I ask instead.

"Oh that grinch? You think he will care you forgot the date? Wallahi he will eat it and tell you he is broke. That guy, I don't know what he intends to use his money for. Small airtime he will not even buy. He was shamelessly asking pops for kinkili five hundred Naira airtime yesterday. And pops almost hit him with his cane. He will never change!"

Mira sighs. "Right now, everybody is poor around me! And the rich ones are too respectable for me to trick" she complains again.

"I heard Zain's birth date is tomorrow though. Ali is busy preparing him a surprise birthday party. I swear, it's like she is confident he will attend"

"You never know. He might really attend" Mira quips.

"Come on! It's Zain King! What will he do with her stupid birthday party? She is being delusional!" Annie rejects.

"But Ali would never buy a cake from me Annie" Mira complains, disliking the trail of the former particular thought process. So she changed it!

"Not if she knows she is ordering from you bah. Unless she believes you are from some high end world" Annie smirks.

"Gist me! How will she believe it? I mean, I can make cool cakes but I don't think she will buy it from an unknown source" Mira points out.

"Come on! It's easy to trick her now. Let us just visit her today and you will show her one of the cakes you made and how Zain is crazy about this woman's cakes ehn? That way, we can be the link between Ali and this high class cake lady. If it works, you can rip her off of thousands of naira without stressing!" Ali laughs.

"I am gonna make her a cake he would like. And you are right, she can be my next paycheck. When are we going?" Mira asks excitedly.

She can brag of knowing everything there is to know about Zain King! Including his cake preference and that he preferred velvet cake to chocolate and would always opt for milk cheese fillings rather than any other!