58: A seal of fate 4

Zain's POV

It's after Esha's wedding Fatiha. Over a hundred Gaddo family members are sitting in Pop's spacious living room.

But a few of us are sitting in a smaller space because there are words that need to be spoken and it's not for everyone's ears.

Pops looks so old today. Even Pappy is looking tired. They aren't the only old people in the room though. Laziz's grandfather, and another one of our neutral grand uncles are here as well.

"Zain...if it's about yesterday..." Pops began.

"I am planning on leaving this family for good" I announce so Pops doesn't start talking about something else.

They all stare at me like I am crazy.

I know they think yesterday should have been the biggest in my priority list. But it's not. Mira was partially at fault. She exaggerated the entire affair and used the opportunity to put him in his place.

"I know about the keys and I know everyone here knows about them before I did. The deal is, I know what they do with the money and wallahi if it's the last thing I do, I will not pay it to them. I have suffered all my life to be where I am today. So I can't let my hard earned money fund fitnah all around the world. If this is the end for me, so be it. But I have decided I would not associate with anyone who does. Including this family" I stare at Pops, then at Pappy and then I come to stop my gaze at Laziz.

He looks away from me. "Whatever they do with the money is their own cup of tea. It's a small token compared to what it does for us. It's your choice to end your life the way you want to end it. Don't drag anyone into it" he declares, making his stance clear.

Both Pops and Pappy are very silent. Including Laziz's grandfather and our grand uncle Suraj.

Once it's clear no one wants to say anything, I stood up and left. And even as I stare back at the gaddo house, I know it's the last time I will be here. Eman and Kashim are coming to live with me.

Now I wonder what Mira will say. I have made the decision without her knowledge and I can't tell her everything too. So I am unsure of what I will use to convince her to accept my dictate. I have to rely on her trust.

At the same time, I feel relieved. This is the right choice. Even if I die today, I will accept the fact that I did what I needed to do.

The moment I arrive in my house, I found Mira talking to a stout fella who is busy selecting yards of fabrics from a heap on the tiled floor.

She is alone and that gives me enough brevity to take in her exquisite form. I am pleased to see she is wearing a hijab even though she is just talking to her tailor and she is inside her own house.

Laziz must have spooked her even more than I originally estimated. But it serves her right to be honest. She doesn't get the effect she has on other poeple when she is trying to be beautiful...

I can't stop the smile on my lips as I imagine the kind of life we would live. Even though our time is short, I would make it count.

So I come out of the car and walk towards her. She acted as if she didn't see me coming. But I know that she did. Her hands had stilled while she held an atampa and she didn't look like she is about to answer the tailor who is waiting to hear her speak.

The tailor finally saw me as I am very close now. He goes on his knees and began to greet me.

"Leave us please" I state politely.

The man nods and made himself scarce.

Finally, she turns to look at me and she pretends as if she didn't feel the energy sparking to life between us. I sure did.