39: Barack's claim

Hoor's POV

I heard him talking! I couldn't believe it!

"What? Another key found its way back to her?!" He asks in complete annoyance.

After a few heartbeats, he says "can't we kill her?"

Another pause.

"I am tired of this! What if she is lying and it is not an old key? What if she is giving us a new key?" He stops, his voice sounds severely angry now.

Another few beats.

"Look, try bluffing this time. Tell her no matter what the key from that stupid fish is the only one we are accepting! If you collect another key, I don't bloody care what the fuck you do with it! I am out!" He roars.

A few heart beats later.

"What? She said that?! How is that bloody fair?!" he shouts, scaring the atmosphere inside the whole office into shivering with cold from his authoritative outburst.

"My friends...you mean..no! She is bluffing! I want to negotiate damn her! And if she doesn't negotiate with me, we put her name on the next bloody key!" He slaps his phone on the desk and i can hear the sound it made on impact.

I am his secretary so I get to eavesdrop every Time! But this is the first time I hear him call his friends amidst his temper tantrums. I'll say Barack is not happy with his life ever. It's like he hates everything including all the things he had to do.

I am still sitting there, thinking of how badly I fare at my work as secretary and wondering when he will finally decide to fire me when Hamid Sarki, one of Barack's friends, walks in to the spacious room where my desk is located just shy of Barack's heavy office door.

"Hey beautiful!" He flirts with me.

I froze there wondering why he is mocking me.

Mira says I was too beautiful. That I can't fool anyone into thinking I am not Hoor with changing just my hair and my eyes color. I needed to be uglier somehow.

She ran me through all of her experiences with disguising and seeks my approval for how far I can go.

She told me that the first time she used a disguise, she went too far and she did not regard her health very much or the side effects of her stupidity.

One particularly stood out to me. And it's the traditional rhinoplasty she said she took just to change the shape of her nose. It's a non surgical procedure, she said. And it doesn't cost as much as the surgical plastic surgeries dumb women take everywhere.

She reminds me she was dumb as well before explaining the risks and the procedure in general.

"It happens in a few minutes. They will inject some kind of a jel into your nose and it instantly looks different. I had a few food I had to avoid and i was lucky I didn't have any side effects until towards the end of the six months it lasted. She said her nose had swollen and she looked ugly for the better part of two days before the swelling comes down. And Hoor, I did not regret it doesn't mean there couldn't have been complications!" She warns yet again. It's like she really doesn't want me to do it.

My brows were thinned with professional precision and she gave me a set of eye lenses that turned the greenish color of my eyes brown. In fact, she showed me how I can disguise my skin tone and look a bit darker in complexion. She also showed me how to map my brows, claiming I should wear the same brows everyday so I don't seem too off.

My lenses are to be removed everyday when I am going to sleep and she warns me to use eye glasses to cover the fact that I am wearing lenses!

I went through so much. Mira changed how I look. She recommends the type of clothes that would make me look bigger than I am and suggested some disconcerting attitudes I can assume to keep eyes away from my face.