51: Bedeviling solution 5

Zain's POV

I stare at Mira's miniature photograph framed in a golden picture holder and a wave of instant yearning attacks my senses.

She is so close, my heart enticed.

Just a few miles and you are there! That's my mind.

The workaholic in me wants to remain in office and appear for the meeting with some investors from Saudi Arabia. But the rational side of me tells me to make a quick stop at home if for nothing but my peace of mind.

And while I tried so hard not to think of physically disappearing from the office, I received word that Mira had received a package.

A black paper box.

And that did it! I have a bad feeling about it. First of all, Mira doesn't know anyone in Newyork. Even though we have two uncles living in the city, Mira wouldn't receive anything from them so soon. And definitely not a black box! It's not even her birthday. And even if it's her birthday, it will be damn rude!

So finally, spurred by a moment of panic, I quickly left word that I will be right back. One of my assistants will be tasked with receiving the investors as well as settling them comfortably before I return to take on the reigns.

At this moment, nothing matters except making sure she is fine.

So the moment I parked, I rushed inside the house, calling her name loudly. Hoping she answers me and I would find that my fears were exaggerated.

But then she didn't.

I hastily began to look around the house for traces of her. And then I came upon an open black box on one of the chairs in the main living room.

It's totally empty and Mira isn't anywhere to be found.

So I rushed towards her room. The door is left ajar and so my heartbeat escalated into powerful rhythms. I keep imagining the worst. And the worst is scaring me into oblivion. It feels as if I would truly give in and black out any moment because of pure stress. Right now, my fear is still shooting through the roof.

Tremblingly, I entered the room and found Mira sitting on the bed with her back rested on the headboard.

Everything slowed at that moment. My breathing, the air itself, time, my heartbeat...

She is right here in front of me but I can't hear anything past the sound of my heart shivering in total cowardice. I don't want to face the reality of this.

Maybe she is just sleeping...

Maybe she is so deep in thought and she cannot hear me...!

Desperation squeezed my in heart. Walking seemed like a chore. It feels surreal that I am witnessing this.

Still, I need to know.

Whether she is sleeping or not...

And when I reached her side, I touched her forehead and it's cold. Recoiling from the several explanations that would explain this phenomenon, I pushed a little too hard and her body fell to the side with a stiff thud.

A cry of pure anguish escapes my mouth. I took several steps back, shaken and disoriented, refusing to believe it.

I feel myself sink to the floor and I cannot remember being so afraid. Not even when I was a cowardly idiot fumbling through life.

The next emotion I feel is denial. I don't believe it! It's not happening to me. Perhaps it's a nightmare and I am gonna wake up. Or maybe she is just cold...