37: Benazir 1

***Please read chapter 36: strategy if you haven't already!***

3rd of October, 2020.

Mira's POV

I have decided to just go to Momsie's house seeing as no matter what anyone will do to punish me, Momsie will take it a little easy.

I haven't felt such dread until I am staring at the house Momsie is living in within the city of Abuja.

I know I am dead meat. I just don't know how dead.

So I summoned courage and went inside the house. I exchange greetings with the gateman who didn't fail to mention he hasn't seen me in awhile. Obviously, even Malam Iro is wondering where I was.

I enter the house and the first person I see is Umar who is cleaning the living room with a small frown on his face.

"Umar!" I exclaim with a forced smile, not knowing what he has heard or how he is going to receive me. Does he also think I ran away to his brother's side? I mean, he knows, more than most just how much I love Zain.

His smile looks genuinely relieved and I feel only tiny bit better.

"Ya Mira, where is Ya Zain?" He questions, looking behind me as if waiting for his brother to show up.

I bit my lower lip nervously and say to him "he is not here"

He drops the mop in his hand inside the bucket next to him and walks over to my side where I stood frozen by the door.

"You should not have come alone! He should be here to protect you!" He sounds chiding and I feel properly chagrined by it.

"Look here Umar! What kind of protection will your brother give to me? Don't you know he is sick?" I ask curiously.

"It doesn't matter! Uncle Mufeed has warned Momsie not to accept you. Pops and Pappy are waiting for you over at Kano state. You are not only in hot soup, you are in boiling water Ya Mira!" He sounds like he is exaggerating. Only I don't know the Umar who exaggerates! Either he has changed in the few months I am away or he is just stating facts!

I quickly sit on a chair and began to fan my face. My leg is shaking in anxiety and I am looking to him for help.

Umar shrugs, his eyes widening a bit to tell me he isn't going to be all that helpful.

"I'll just stay the night and book for a flight tomorrow" I tell him.

Umar takes my things inside my room and I changed into a maxi circle dress that has a spaghetti strap. I merely wrap a veil around myself, forgoing the headtie so my hair can feel some air. I don't want to start smelling because it's very hot today in Abuja.

Umar is the one who cooked because Momsie is a banker and I know she is at work.

I ate the average fried rice he has cooked and drank the super delicious juice he made.

"Umar, is it only rice you know how to cook?" I ask him.

He smiles with colorful embarrassment. But merely shrugs in answer.

"Learn to cook spaghetti or macaroni. I swear, your life will be much easier!" I advise.

He shrugs again. But I am used to our super glorious conversations and I don't mind his silence much. I need to talk so I don't think about how I am going to die at the Gaddo mansion tomorrow!

"Where is Huzaifah?" I ask.

"He enrolled for computer classes" he explains.

"Ohh the geek of our fam" I state dryly.