12: Marrying Zain

2nd December, 2019.

Mira

I surprise myself sossai because I didn't shed one tear at all through out the mess.

I have just come back from going to see how pops is doing over at the hospital when Pappy sent Asad to call me.

So I went to meet with him.

But then I saw Baba and his brothers there as well. Even three of Pappy's children as well in the name of Baba Safiyanu, Baba Alhaji and Uncle Muazzam.

I greet them all knowing what is coming next. I hardened my heart for the news praying that Allah gives me strength.

"We have just received news from the Brights Mira. And they came to apologize for breaking their promise of marriage with us. They no longer wish to marry their son to our daughter" Pappy states gravely.

Hearing him put it like that hurts my pride too. But I just ducked my head lower and listened quietly like a good girl.

"This is one of the reasons we don't accept strangers into our fold Mira. But it will never again be said that we don't marry outside our family! Yet, we can't just let your wedding which we have already announced all over to get ruined! Understand that our dignity will be lost. And it will not be good for you either" Pappy paused his narration.

I swear Pappy can talk a few years off your life if he wants to!

"I will marry Zain" I whispered, hoping to stop him from telling a long story.

And that did the trick cox I am quite sure he is looking for ways to tell me that I have to marry Zain without seeming calculating.

A broad smile graces his lips and he says to Baba "what a fine daughter Allah has given you!"

"May Allah bless you abundantly my baby doll" Baba smiles proudly.

Suddenly, everyone is blessing me. I swear, I have never been blessed by so many people at once like today.

And all because I have agreed to ruin my life!

Momsie

Umar is just back from school. I work at the ministry of land and housing. Sometimes I come home early, other times I don't. But today appears to be the day I come home early.

So when Umar and Huzaifah came home from school, they met me at home.

None of them is happy though.

Huzaifah, my crybaby, hugs me tight as he shed a few dramatic tears.

Umar seems so cold he reminds me of his brother when he doesn't get his way!

"What is going on?" I ask worriedly.

Umar is too angry to speak though. And Huzaifah is too emotional!

I held Umar's hand and squeezed affectionately before saying "sit down Babana"

He obeys me and I sit Huzaifah down too.

"Wait here Abban Baba!" I tell Huzaifah who nods calmly.

Among all my children, Huzaifah is the most calm. Followed by Eman. But don't talk about Kashim, or Umar and definitely don't talk about Zain!