15: Recourse

Zain's POV

Ok so Barack's advise was shitty as hell. I am better off with my own devices. A part of me wants to ask Saad for advise. He always seems to know the right thing to do.

But he is also severely preacher like and I would hate for anyone to tell me I am making a big mistake.

Hamid is totally out of the equation. That cricket would only mock me for the next ten years before deciding to help me out.

As for Marwan, he is as shitty made as I am. He would only egg me on. Or maybe push me to doing what would be my mistake in his own narrative.

So I go over everything in my mind and realize there is no easy way of doing this.

Whatever I did, will hurt Mira because she really doesn't like me much at this point in her life.

So that morning, I have a meeting very early. I feel like a battered bat because I am so tired. But this is how I feel almost everyday. There is no time for a proper rest some times in a year.

It's December. We are already packed full with reviews, data and analysis for the end of year budget and what not.

And I have my schedule decorated with the Gaddo dilemma.

Of course I'll help them. But only if it's profitable for me.

If they asked me before, I'll help at no cost because they would have given me my respect as their son. But these are hard times for them. How would they properly learn their lesson without feeling it sink into their bones?

At this point, I am the only hope of the future Gaddo line. And I know it as well as they do.

Sometimes, it's not encouraging, this business of seeking wealth.

I can remember what a legend my great grandfather was in the business world.

Everybody knows Harris Gaddo. But here we are, third generation failure!

Sometimes you just don't leave everything to family. For me, as long as my legacy lives on, I'll leave it to whoever deserves it most.

Pops tried. But he has no head for business. Pappy is a wastrel who only succeeded in depleting the Gaddo coffers. And then there are the uncles.

Mira doesn't know. Very few do, that Baba Mufeed and his brothers likes to indulge in a variety of bad excesses. A terrible effect of a wasted youth. Sometimes, what you really do at your young age determines what you become as an adult.

This is why I must concentrate on accomplishing as much as I can when I can. If I have a wastrel of a son, he would get nothing! I would rather destroy my own wealth thank you very much!

So I knock on Mira's door and she ignored me as usual.

I enter the room after a few seconds, hoping she is decent.

I feel a bit bad when I see that I am the one who woke her up.

I sit at the edge of the bed and face her as she drew the cover to her neck frowning puzzlingly at me.