44: Her will is his

Mira's POV

The following morning, I was disappointed when he didn't send me a merry morning text. I am beginning to resign myself to the fact that maybe Zain's charm isn't in that area at all. He only sends messages when he feels like sending messages. Ugh!

Of course I should be the better person and send him one but seeing as I sent him a message last night, I decidedly refrained from doing so as the rebel feeling in my chest expanded beyond measure.

So I went to the kitchen knowing Marmie is an early riser. I am not surprised to see her already frying chips while she combined the effort to make scorch eggs and Baba's routinely morning cup of juice.

I can smell a delicious scent of herb tea as well as something explosive attacking my nostrils.

Marmie loves to cook and it shows a lot when you see her in the kitchen. Lucky enough for her, she is also good at it.

If Momsie is as good as Marmie, I am quite sure Baba Murtala will also be a good chef by now. But I have never seen Baba help with chores in our house. It's always solely on Marmie and it works for them. Or it appears to.

"Good morning Marmie" I greet her as I sank to my knees at the same time.

Marmie is spotting a very bright smile on her face when she looks at me.

I am suddenly feeling merry too. It's not very often that you see Marmie so very happy like this.

"What has made you happy this morning?" I ask curiously.

Marmie motions for me to cut the plantain for her and I eased myself next to her while I did as she asked.

She is still carefully frying her scorched eggs in the pan when she says "I am happy that your father has finally agreed to forgive you and Zain and he has also decided to speak to Pappy about you two going back together soonest!" She chirps happily.

This is no doubt partly as a result of her persistent efforts. I actually feel very warm at her words even though I am sure she is also doing this for her dear Zian.

I feel a little shy honestly when I hear her speak so excitedly. But of course I am happy. Zain will take care of Pappy this very morning and we will no longer have issues with anyone!

Ya Allah, make this my last failure at marriage! I prayed fervently.

Marmie notices I am quiet and she sighs. Ignoring me for a moment, she daintily cut each scorch egg into two, making it look extremely beautiful. After switching of the electric cooker, which has been aiding in the successful completion of her very fine cuisine, she turns away from the place.

I am done with the plantain and I help Marmie drain the chips from hot oil after they have turned a very nice golden brown. I salted the last batch of potatoes and put them in the hot oil before turning to see what Marmie is up to.

She is already serving up tea, and arranging the tins of milk and whatnot while she positions her expensive china teapot as well as display a lot of her other very expensive plates and I must admit, the array of white porcelain  and golden utensils makes up for a dazzling sight.

Of course her scorch eggs are garnished appropriately and she even sets up garlic sauce in a small container next to an empty bowl which is probably where she wants to serve the chips.