Seven

<<C h a p t e r 7>>

<<C h a p t e r 7>>

"This position pays well, you need money, don't you?"

I almost slapped him on the face when he said that with a sarcastic tone. I let out a loud scoff, i had the urge to burst out crying in anger, but i held it. I'm no longer a teenager.

"I don't need your pity."

Taehyung's eyes enlarged a little as he looked at me storming out of his office fiercely. Not forgetting to slam his door, I walked out without hesitation.

That condescending tone he got irritated me. What now? He thinks i would accept the offer because it pays better? I'm in need of money, yes, but I'm not that cheap.

"I'm sorry Miss Seo, the medical assistance is not applicable to your mother's case. Your income is higher than the standard set by the hospital, I'm very sorry."

I sighed in hopelessness, "it's okay, thank you." I told the nurse at the counter.

These stupid funds in the hospital are all not applicable to my mother's case. Just because I have income doesn't mean I have enough money to support my life. After using my salary on my living basic expenses, my mother's medical fee, medical insurance and countless things that I have to pay, I barely have savings left. I wonder if I should be unemployed so that the hospital can pay for my mother's fee. No, that's not a better way. My salary is significant in supporting my mother's medication.

That's when Taehyung's offer popped up in my mind.

"No way in hell you are working with him, quit the job, Lea." Jungkook reacted sternly when I filled him with the events today. He was very serious when it comes to Taehyung. He saw how shattered I was when he left me.

I know the relationship ended with both Taehyung and I's will, I'm the one who decided to stop. Life is unpredictable, after he left, too many things happened. And without him supporting me, it made everything extra hard.

There was multiple time I wanted to find him, beg him to claim me back. I was too used to living as his girlfriend, I cannot adapt to life being alone.

Luckily, Jungkook was there. I despised him and avoided him at first, but Jungkook showed me his truest side, he put the effort in making me accept him.

"Relax Kook, I'm sorry but I really cannot quit, I need my job." I crossed my arms in front of my chest. Jungkook was worried and annoyed at the same time, but he knew that I cannot lose my job.

"Fine, just... be careful around him, tell me if you need my help. I'm always here, okay?" Jungkook caressed my shoulder, he shoved some cash into my palm. I immediately gave it back to him but he didn't let me. His concerned stare made me felt sorry for worrying him.

"Thank you. I will pay them back once I have the money."

Taehyung looked up from his desktop with a smile when he heard me knocked on his door, he tapped his fingers against his desk, eyeing me up and down as I stood in front of him.

"I thought you don't need my pity," Taehyung smirked, God I'm slapping him in my head.

"I'm sorry, I'm taking back what I said. I want this job, I'll be your assistant." I said, closing my eyes. I know my old self would be disappointed to hear these words coming out of my mouth. How shameful, it's not like it's the first time though.

My life, wouldn't let me keep my principles anymore. For my mother, I can do anything.

"Good then, start today." Taehyung handed me some paperwork, then I bowed and retreated to my new seat outside his office.

I clenched my jaw, reality hurts. Since when I'm doing things against my will? Since when I'm not myself?

I don't know anymore.

"I'll drive you home," Taehyung said and I looked up from my desk. I glanced at the clock pointing 10 pm, I didn't notice it's this late, my mother must be waiting for me.

"No thank you. I'll just catch a taxi." I smiled politely and even bowed to him.

I felt Taehyung staring at me when I walked out of the office. I was keeping an only boss and employee relationship between us, he was probably not used to me being so distant. Yet, I know clearly that this is the best way to not get hurt, again.

By the time I arrived at my mother's room, she was soundly asleep. I pulled a chair and sat next to her. I tuck a loose string of her hair to a side and pour some water into a cup. I used a cotton swab to wet her lips, they are all chapped.

"Mom..." I burst out crying. My lips were trembling from the intense crying. Maybe that moment, I was really scared, so scared of losing her. I held her wrinkled hand in mine, bringing them to my face.

I'm tired of not being myself.

There are two types of pains. One that hurts you and the other that changes you.

I was suffering from both.

I used to believe that all the unfortunates in life are meant to happen, they carry a purpose to make an impact on me. But it's too much, my life right now is too much to handle.

I don't know when I'll collapse, I felt like giving up every day. My father's nowhere to be seen, my mother's dying. There are too many things to worry and it's stressing me.

To save my mother, I really can do anything. I can be pathetic enough to apologize for things I didn't do wrong. I can beg the worst people in the society that I abhor and used to swore I would never be one.

People really change. I understood as I grew older. Things happening in a life forced us to change, it's very hard to keep our original selves. Here I am, living as the person I never wanted to be. Innocence is brilliant, how many on earth can keep it?

I dreamt to be an independent woman with strict principles and will never cross the line. A person who will correctly judge things and act rationally. A person that will never do things that betray her heart. A person that will never surrender to the world, the society and the unfairness.

And yet, I'm doing nothing like that.

Please do vote and comment💜

love you