Eight

<< C h a p t e r 8 >>

"Lea, I want this done by tomorrow morning." Taehyung lay a file as he strolled passed. I cursed internally because this means I couldn't possibly be on time to visit my mother tonight. She was scheduled for radiotherapy this evening and she wanted me to be there for her. I flipped through the sheets and only sigh, knowing my sleep is stolen away from me right in front of my eyes.

"Are you gonna have such an attitude every time I give you work?" I stared at Taehyung, totally forgetting that he's my boss. "Sorry?"

"I don't like your attitude," Taehyung stated sternly.

I scoffed quietly, what does he want now?

"Taehyung, I-"

"It's Mr.Kim for you at work," Taehyung emphasized and marched back to his office. I rolled my eyes, he was obviously being childish. I miss working for Namjoon instead.

I ran through the doors to where my mother was at, I held my stomach from running nonstop. My mother's inside the room, lying on the bed, the treatment was about to start. She seemed to be cheered up by my presence. I waved at her exuberantly and showed her a small smile. "I'll be right here." I mouthed, hoping she got my message.

I watched through the glass window as the doctor pressed a few buttons. My mother closed her eyes and she was delivered into the nuclear detonator.

After persuading my mother to take the medicines for an hour or two, she eventually obeyed and went to bed. I made sure she was asleep before I left. It was funny, somehow. My mother treated me as a kid when I was young, now that she's old, our roles swapped.

It was two in the morning, I paid the taxi driver and got off the taxi, I still have approximately 4 hours to sleep. However, the road to home didn't go well.

I gasped sharply when someone covered my mouth from behind. Panic rushed over my whole body. A manly voice talked with another. He pushed me onto the rigid wall. I gulped and looked at the three muscular men in front of me with fear.

"You know what we want." The man said, taking a knife from his pocket.

"One more week-" tears were threatening to fall when the man pulled me by my collar. "Please, " I begged. He stared with a ferocious gaze, "pretty girl, we just came by to say hi, I'll let you go this time. If we get nothing after one week, I don't know what I'll do to you." The man's face was merely inches away from mine. His beard touched my cheeks, his disgusting breath fanned my face.

The man roughly released his grip from my neck. I collapsed to the floor with my shaky legs, crawling on the floor to grab my bag and stand up in the dark street.

Don't cry, Lea. Don't cry.

"Miss Seo!" I jumped when someone smashed a hand on the desk. I came back to sense and met a furious Taehyung staring at me. He took my laptop sitting in front of me, brushing his hand through his hair and chuckled before he growled.

"Everyone get out! Not you." Taehyung looked at me. The other colleagues left the conference room shortly and eyed us strangely. They were for sure going to gossip about this outside.

Taehyung set his two long arms on the desk, he's mad.

"What are you doing in a meeting? As an assistant, your work is to jot down everything we discussed, but why is your laptop blank?" Taehyung loosened his collar in frustration. I squeezed my lips together knowing I was wrong this time.

"I'm very sorry," I apologized.

"Lea, I expect you as a capable assistant. I need you to help me run this freaking company. If I don't run it well, I'll be dead. Do you hear me?" Taehyung scolded and I nodded. He sighed and walked out of the room leaving me behind. I buried my face into my palms because of the mess I made.

I couldn't stop myself from thinking about what happened the previous night. I have to collect thirty thousand dollars before a week passes, where... where do I have so much money? All my savings are used up. Not to mention, my father is still out there gambling, leaving me alone paying off his debts. Why am I the one who's enduring all the pain?

"Hmm, Mom. I'll come tonight, take some rest. Love you, bye." I muttered the words and ended the call fast, careful to not let Taehyung see, if not he will say I'm not focusing on work during working hours. I didn't eat since yesterday's lunch. I have no appetite plus I had been busy all day. Now I only need to finish up with the last few pieces paperwork and submit them to Taehyung, then I'm off to go.

"Come in," Taehyung mumbled and I went inside.

I settled the files on his desk and he didn't give a response, he was immersed in his work.

"Uh, Mr Kim. Can I leave work earlier today? Like now?" I requested. I knew I'm supposed to stay for as long as he stays, but I really have to see my mom today. She needs me next to her after radiotherapy, the side effects of it are awful.

"Reason?" Taehyung dropped his pen and looked up at me.

"I uh-h have some personal business," I replied. I wouldn't want to tell Taehyung about my family, he would only pity me more. Taehyung witnessed the night my family was devastated. I hated having people compassionate me, I hated being vulnerable.

"I wouldn't except that as an answer, Miss Seo." Taehyung averted his gaze back to his work.

I anxiously twirled my hair while I tried to come up with a reasonable excuse so that Taehyung will let me go.

"Please, Mr.Kim. It's i—important." I begged, feeling my head getting heavier as if I would fall...

"Lea!" Taehyung rushed to me and held me, "are you okay?" He worriedly looked at me, touching my forehead with the back of his hand. "You're having a fever."

"I'm okay, Taehyung." I stepped away from him. I once again lost my balance. Taehyung shouting my name was the last thing I heard before everything goes black.

Why do I feel like the story is developing too fast?Smash the vote button, love you:)

Smash the vote button, love you:)

💜