Thirty-three

<< C h a p t e r 33>>

I'm in the backyard with my father in the building I grew up in. Taehyung and mom are indoors, providing us with privacy and space to talk. We took a seat on the wooden swing my father made me as a present on my fourth birthday. The memories are vivid but I do remember how delighted I was when my parents revealed the gift to me.

My father and I sat in silence, the night is chilly, but the little bond fire kept us warm. The dead air is making us uneasy, so I decided to speak up first.

"I'm—"   "Lea—"

My father and I chuckled when we spoke at the same time. I guess his blood does runs in my body.

"You can speak first," I said, looking into his eyes for one second and nervously shifted my gaze away to anything else but him. His dark brunette orbs reflected mine, I got my eyes from him, I guess.

"You've grown so well Lea. I'm not being dramatic, we haven't met for five years, and you've become a stunning woman just like your mother. You're glowing." My father's comment made me shy, I mumbled a small thank you and he continued.

"Your mother told me how much trauma I've caused you because of my faults in the past. I know sorrys wouldn't solve the problem and excuses wouldn't help sugarcoat my deeds. I was wrong and it's a fact. I've changed and I'm determined to bring back our happy family. I struggled alone for the past years, I missed my family, I'm a fool for only realizing them when I've lost the two of you. I completely understand your point of view so... it's alright if you want to keep a distance with me."

"No, dad." I shook my head, holding his wrinkled hand in mine. "Late is better than never." I smiled and my father lifted his eyes to met mine. "I trust you that you've changed for us. I'm not pushing people who love me away again. I... forgive you."

"Sweetie." My father engulfed me in a bear hug, stroking my hair as he sobbed. I've never seen my father cried, well technically he is not crying, but his eyes are red and tearing up.

"I've never seen you cry, dad." I teased him and guggled as he hissed. "I'm not, it's the wind that irritates my eyes." My father defended, that's the same old dad I know. "Yeah, sure." I laughed.

"Thank you, sweetie," Dad remarked, warming his hand in mine. "You shouldn't thank me, it's somebody else who taught me to trust bravely. Trust with our whole hearts without any evidence needed. Welcome someone who's willing to change for the better."