Nine

<< C h a p t e r 9 >>

My eyes snapped open to find myself lying on the couch inside Taehyung's office.

Taehyung hurried to me with a glass of water and a pill in his hand, "how are you feeling?" I took the pill and thanked him, "I'm okay."

"What happened?" I frowned, holding my head feeling dizzy.

"You fainted," Taehyung mumbled.

"Oh, crap." The realization hit me, my mother's waiting for me. I removed the blanket covering my body and stood up from the couch.

"Where are you going?" Taehyung questioned, "I have to go somewhere." I said, taking my purse.

"No, you need to rest. You're not going anywhere." Taehyung demanded, blocking my way out.

This is not the time for you to play around, Taehyung. "I really have to go, please," I begged, moving his body. "I'm going with you, then," Taehyung grabbed his blazer hanging on the chair and I sighed. I'm not ready to let Taehyung know this yet, I don't want to let him know. He'd only changed the way he looks at me, pity me even more? No, thank you.

"No, Taehyung. This is the last time I'm saying this." With that, I ran out of his office, leaving Taehyung dumbfounded and hurt.

"Hey, mom." I was wearing a smile when I entered my mother's room, but the moment I saw her vomiting with a bucket in her hands almost caused me to burst out crying.

My mother put the bucket away, wiping the corner of her mouth with the tissue I handed her. She forced a smile, acting strong, and I hated it.

"Hi, sweetie."

I took my mother's hand in mine, caressing them. They're warm, very warm. I pulled my mother into a hug, my mother's hug is the calmest thing ever.

"Hi, Jennie." My mother saw Jennie behind me and also gave her a hug. After leaving Taehyung's office, I called Jennie to drive me to the hospital, thankfully she wasn't occupied and didn't mind driving me.

"How are you feeling?" I sat beside my mother's bed, taking out the takeaway I purchased on my way here.

"I'm okay, sweetie." My mom smiled. I know what's behind that smile, pain. Every time my mother received chemotherapy treatment, the side effects overwhelmed her. Nausea, headaches and such. She didn't want me to worry so she always acted strong, but I saw them, everything behind that smile hanging on her face.

"I brought you your favourite cake." I took out the blueberry cheesecake from the plastic bag. Hoping some sweets can make her stomach feel better.

"Thank you, sweetie."

I brought the cake to my mother's face, she chuckled inhaling the sweet scent of the dessert. The three of us spent the night talking.

"Thank you, Jennie." I smiled at Jennie who's waving my mother goodbye. It was very kind of her to give me a ride.

"No problem, Lea." Jennie circled her arm around mine as we walked out of the hospital. Jennie knows about my situation and she has been a very supportive friend. Even though I may be spending less time with her because I have to take care of my mother, she's very thoughtful and understanding. She even visits my mother in her spare time, to not let her feel lonely alone in the hospital facing four white walls.

"Night Coffee?" Jennie winked. I chuckled and nodded, "sure."

Perhaps since we're both working as an assistant, our working schedule is relatively similar. We work overtime a lot so coffee at night became a tradition for us.

"How is it, working under your ex?" Jennie asked. She expressed her concerns before when I told her I was starting to work as Taehyung's personal assistant. I have been busy since then, couldn't really get to talk about this with her.

"Unpleasant. I guess he noticed I was trying to maintain an only boss and employee relationship with him. So he's doing his job, being a rude boss." I scoffed.

"Maybe he's hurt because you are being distant with him. I saw the way his eyes wrote pain when he saw me picking you up just then. I think Taehyung wants to be in your life again. Why don't you two try?" Jennie carefully asked, knowing she's reaching a sensitive topic. We rarely talk about this in the past five years, only until he came back into my life again.

"I don't think we can, I also don't think he wants me to be a part of his life." I shrugged and sipped my coffee. Doesn't it sound absurd to go back someone who cheated on you, not to mention who you cheated on either?

"But you two still love each other."

I warmed my hands with the coffee between my palms. thinking Jennie's words over and over again in my head. I doubted that I still love him, I'm not sure. He was everything to me, even though we separated, he will forever hold a special place in my heart. I know there is a soft spot for him.

"How are you so sure about that?" I said, how can Jennie knows we love each other? Even I don't know how do I feel, I would never know his.

"It's obvious, the way you two look at each other didn't change."

💜

💜