Eleven

<< C h a p t e r 11 >>

Taehyung was oddly kind today. Smiling to me every minute. I felt like the whole company noticed the change in his attitude. I thought he was mad? Now he's acting friendly?

"Mr. Kim, the meeting will start soon." I knocked lightly on his door, hearing he hummed in response.

I sat next to Taehyung, nothing down everything in my notebook as usual. Taehyung was concentrated in listening to the workers' presentation for the new project. He accidentally share an eye contact with me, of course he smiled to me dumbly.

I might or might not have blushed.

I felt my phone buzzed in my pocket, Taehyung glanced towards me and I mumbled a sorry. I was about to dismiss the call but I saw the caller ID.

It was a call from the hospital.

"I'm sorry, I have to take this." Taehyung nodded and I brought the phone to my ear.

"Miss Seo, please hurry to the hospital now, your mother's not doing well."

My phone slipped from my hand to my thighs, Taehyung looked at me, frowning and also worried.

I blinked, breathing unevenly after hearing the bad news. "I-i have to-o" I mumbled, my voice shaky and unclear. I stood up from my chair, causing everyone to look at me.

"Lea, what's wrong?." Taehyung asked, holding my wrist.

"I have to go," I gulped, tears of fear falling off my eyes. I was panicking, my mother is in danger but i can't seem to move. Like my feet was stuck to the ground, the only thing in my mind is my mother.

"You're going to leave again? Like last time? Not letting me help you?" Taehyung questioned, he sounded hurt but this is not what we have to focus right now.

"I'm sorry." I said and rushed out of the conference room.

Taehyung didn't hesitate and went after me.

I covered my mouth seeing tubes linking my mother's lips to the ventilator. Her eyes closed, the electrocardiography beeping and drawing an irregular line.

"Miss Seo, your mother is safe for now. We brought her back but... she's not going to sustain long, the only hope left is organ donation, we have to be faithful for it." Dr.Kim explained, and comforted me. He was right, we have to have faith.

I couldn't donate my liver because it wasn't compatible to my mother. How long do we have to wait? She doesn't have much time left.

"Lea."

I turned around to find Taehyung standing at the door. A tear escaped my eye, I ran into his arms, breaking down in front of him like i used to.

"Taehyung, my mom..." I couldn't talk, my sob kept interrupting. My mother almost died, I almost couldn't tell her I love her one last time. The thought of never being able to hug my mother, never seeing her was terrifying. I can't lose her.

"I'm sorry," Taehyung mumbled, kissing the top of my head. There's only one sentence i need to hear when I'm down, and he remembered.

"I'm here, you'll be alright."

I eyed Taehyung suspiciously when he forcefully held my hand in his. The atmosphere around us was heavy because of my breakdown, I believe. It's kind of awkward, i was glad that Taehyung wasn't making it more awkward.

"Let me defense myself before you hit me. Firstly, you're not okay, i can grab your in case you fall, hmm?" Taehyung raised or intertwined hands and i could only chuckle.

"Okay, weird but acceptable answer."

"Secondly, it's cold. It will be warmer if we hold hands." Taehyung winked and walked us to the car.

I was defeated, I wouldn't try debate about Taehyung's contention. It's useless, his thoughts are different from most human beings, like we're speaking two languages and are from different worlds. Hence, no point in trying to argue with that.

Not that I hate his crazy thesis. Not that I was annoyed by his unusual and somehow childish thoughts. I found them very cute most of the time. Taehyung can be very serious the more he thinks about something. So the best way to stop a war from happening is to stop him from thinking before he falls too hard.

I remember there was a time when Taehyung and i argued about if galaxies are real. I showed him hundreds of pictures from google yet he said they are photoshopped. I even showed him the videos on youtube as evidence, but he still refused to believe. He can be very stubborn when he wants to. At the end, we settled the disputes by promising each other to go for a trip to somewhere we can see galaxies during our graduation trip.

Sadly, we broke up before that could even happen.

Taehyung was absent in my life after we broke up, as if he disappeared into the thin air. Later I heard from Jimin, saying that he moved to Britain for further studies in business.

I guess, that's how we really cut all contacts.

"You should come to my home, I'll take care of you."

Taehyung said repeatedly even though we were in front of my apartment. Maybe my breakdown at the hospital really made him worried. I was going to tell him about my mother since he already saw everything. However, Taehyung told me to tell him later, he didn't want fo force me.

"I told you, I'm fine. I'm an adult, i can take care of myself. Now go home, I'll see you at work tomorrow, hmm?" I pushed him to the lift, pressing the button and waited for one to arrive at my floor.

"I can drive you to work tomorrow." Taehyung suggested. I'm not used to him being kind now, where's that cold Mr.Kim?

"No, Tae-"

The lift opened interrupting my speech, a person with bags of groceries stepped out and stared at us flabbergasted. It's the three of us again, all the grudges, all the sorrow floated to the water surface all of a sudden.

"Jungkook?"

The three of them have some unfinished business

and yes, the doctor is Jinnie*wink*

💜