Thirteen

<< C h a p t e r 13 >>

Taehyung said it so effortlessly like it's so easy for him to break my heart and stay out of my life for years then appear as if nothing ever happened.

Betrayal by the person you loved deeply brings some of the most powerful pain imaginable. We shattered each other's hearts and never remedied them till today. Speaking from my guts, I don't think I can ever trust Taehyung again, I'd be living in fear like he would hurt me one day if I let down my guards for even a second.

That day in the hospital, Taehyung witnessed my vulnerable moment, then I already have the thoughts of him taking it for granted. The idea of getting hurt because of him always lives inside my head, similar to an alarm to myself.

Warning me to stay away from him.

To not have another heartbreak.

It's evening, workers are leaving from work. I glanced down at the main street via the huge glass window. Watching the street started to fill with crowds and vehicles.

Sometimes, stopping everything I was doing and spend a minute admiring the marvellous world is somehow refreshing.

The sound of someone clearing his throat snapped me back to reality. Taehyung stood in front of me, I rose from my seat knowing he is leaving. It was only 6 or 7, he doesn't usually leave this early.

"You're leaving?" I asked.

Taehyung fidgeted with his Rolex watch around his left wrist and spoke up, "where are you going after work?" He was answering my question with a completely irrelevant question, but, nevermind.

"I'm going to the hospital." The words left my mouth before I realized what I was telling him. Since he already learned about my mother, it's fine, right?

"Can I go with you?" Taehyung pleaded. I looked at him warily, debating in my mind. "I want to talk to aunty if I can, it has been quite some time since I last spoke to her." He added, he was right, I can't really remember when was the last time my mother spoke to Taehyung.

My mother loved Taehyung when we were dating, she'd remind me every day how perfect Taehyung is, asking me to keep him for life and don't miss the opportunity of having the home for life. When Taehyung and I broke up, I didn't know how to tell her, I just said, things didn't work out. She understood I was hurt so she didn't keep asking about it. Furthermore, my father was filing a divorce at that time, my mother didn't have the energy to care.

Perhaps mom would be happy to see him.

"Taehyungie!" My mother almost screamed out of excitement when she saw Taehyung entering her room with me. "Hi, aunty." Taehyung grinned, showing his boxy smile and gave my mother a hug after putting a basket of fruit on the table. He insisted to bring a gift, I told him a hundred times it's not needed but I couldn't stop him.