Twenty-one

<< C h a p t e r 21 >>

"You may go in now," the nurse informed.
I heaved a sigh in relief, entering the room with Jungkook. I covered my mouth, trying not to cry seeing my mother awake on the bed. Jin smiled at me, "there's no sign of transplant rejection, don't worry. The patient has just woken up, let her rest for a bit." Jin said after examining my mother.

"Thank you," I hugged Jin.

"Mom," I broke into tears as I sat down on the chair next to the bed, holding my mother's hand in mine. I wonder how many litres of tears I cried in the past twenty-four hours.

"Are you cold?" I asked and she nodded. Jungkook pulled out a blanket from the drawer and place it on my mother.

"You lied," my mother half-whispered.

I raised my eyebrows, not understanding what she meant, "hmm?"

"You promised me I'll see you smiling at me when I wake up, but what I first saw was Doctor. Jin." My mother cheekily smiled.

"Mom!" I chuckled.

"I don't mind though, Jin's smile is a lot more beautiful than yours," my mother remarked making me pouted and giggled.

"Where's Taehyung?" My mother tried to move her weak body, searching for the sign of the male in the room.

"Taehyung- uh... he—"

"You made a choice, didn't you?" She queried, "yes."

"As I said, no matter who you choose I'll support you, as long as you are following your heart." My mother spoke with the peptide energy she had. I smiled and kissed her forehead.

But the point is, I don't even know my own heart.

I headed back to my mother's room after I paid my the medical fee. With help from Jungkook and Taehyung, the problem of money was eventually solved.

In front of the room, I heard my mother and Jungkook's waves of laughter. I peeked in to see Jungkook chatting with my mom. I smiled unwittingly. "you're back." Jungkook smiled with his bunny teeth when he saw my figure at the door.

"Yeah, and we should go now. Mom has to rest." I commented and brought Jungkook out of the room, bidding my mother goodbyes.

"Everything went back to the right places now," Jungkook said, walking me home. It takes some time to walk from the hospital to my apartment so I usually travel by transport. But since today, the wind was kind of... refreshing, Jungkook and I decided to stroll in the night.

"Yeah, thankfully." I smiled a little. My biggest worry— my mother is now healthy. It was like throwing the weights off my shoulder, I felt lighter and loosened up.

"Jung-" I gulped when he reached my hand, our fingers entangled. His warmth converted to me through the skin contact. Just when the cold wind breezed, he kept me warm.

I was going to push him away but—

Yes, there's always a but.

But... think twice, I should stop building walls around me. The past few months have been hectic, yes, very drastic. Mom was very sick and Taehyung popped out in the middle of the street and came back into my life very suddenly like the heavy downpour the night we met.

All these years I never let Jungkook and I be anything more than friends. Yet, after meeting Taehyung, I realized that I should stop dreaming about the second chance of us. That little hope of us getting back together, being in love again and build a perfect family has been lingering in my mind for too long.

And it's time to toss it away.

No matter how much I love him.

It will not work. The uneventful past will never vanish in our memories. It's not like I'm not forgiving him for cheating on me. I cannot forgive myself, to this day, I still cannot believe that I cheated on someone.

Like my dad did to my mom.

I am very ashamed of it.

Being with Taehyung will only remind me how much I hated my past self every second when I'm with him. Thus, I have to let him go, let the feelings go and start fresh.

My love for Taehyung will always be here. We can never unlove a person, we can only love a person more than a person. So I'm trying. I'm giving myself a chance to try a normal life. Date someone and let the feelings I had for him fade.

I stared at Jungkook's and my hand entwined. Thinking deeply like it was the biggest decision of my whole life. Jungkook is a good man, no doubt. He makes my mother happy, he makes me happy. He's caring, considerate, patient and affectionate.

Jungkook leaned closer, his doe-eyes fixated on my lips. He gulped, piercing into my eyes again.

"Lea, give me a chance, I will give you everything," Jungkook whispered, his hot breath fanning my face.

"Be my girlfriend," He added. I met his eyes with my widened and unsure ones.

I may not have feelings for him right now, but feelings can always grow.

It doesn't hurt to try, right?

Jungkook anticipated my answer while I was in deep thoughts. I eventually nodded and Jungkook didn't waste any time, landing his lips on mine.

I smiled because I felt like my life is back on track again. I'm prepared to start a new journey with the man kissing my right now.

I only hope I didn't make the wrong decision.

Who could choose between these two cuties!!!??

Thank you for reading, it shall forever be appreciated 💜