Chapter 35

The incessant pounding behind Edward's eyes was unbearable. 

Despite the usual blank space he got from Ophelia when attempting to look into her brain, he still occasionally got random pictures from her thoughts. It made no sense, but he had long ago stopped questioning it as there was no clear answer. 

However, when Ophelia slept it was as though her mind opened up. Often times she would wake up in the middle of the night from her sleep and need to draw, then immediately would fall back asleep and not remember anything. 

On some nights, her thoughts would intrude on Edward's brain even without him trying to understand what she was talking in her sleep about. Flashes that moved too quickly for even him to understand would flick across his eyelids, leaving a harsh stabbing pain behind as if to remind him that he wasn't ever going to be able to access her wondrous mind. 

Tonight especially was rough on him. The migraine the random flashes left was difficult and it seemed as though it had only just begun. 

So rough to the point where he sat beside her, debating whether he should wake her up. To be fair, it was at least morning -  but Ophelia was never exactly a morning person.

Edward sighed, leaning over her to brush the hair from her exposed shoulder over and kissed her soft skin, then trailing his fingertips over her cheek lovingly. 

Ophelia on the other hand did not appreciate that.

In her dazed and mostly asleep state, her hand went flying forward, her palm hitting him roughly under his chin sending Edward backwards and almost off the bed. He was really caught off guard. 

She didn't even wake up.

Instead, Ophelia mumbled some incoherent gibberish that could sort of be made out to a much more rude version of 'get off'. Turning over she hugged Kingsley tightly, nuzzling into his warm neck, making him hum happily in his sleep. 

Edward shook his head, amazed at how aggressive the tiny human he loved so dearly was in her sleep. Trying again, he kept his distance. 

"It's time to wake up, love." 

Nothing. 

"Charlie will be up soon to leave for work." 

She stirred a little, but still nothing. 

"Come on, sweet girl. I know you're not asleep anymore." 

That time it did in fact get her. A hot blush spread across her chest and face hearing his words. Regardless of her still not being very awake, his words drifted into her ears and made her body react without permission. 

"Leavemeheretodie," Ophelia mumbled out all at once, her voice hidden behind Kingsley's fur and a thick layer of sleepiness. 

Edward chuckled, finally deeming it safe to approach her. Stroking her hair lovingly he kissed her neck. "You know, you've got quite the hit. I think you'll be able to take on Emmett in no time." 

A small smile appeared on her face. "He doesn't even stand a chance." 

They laughed and exchanged a few more words until she eventually decided to get up. Edward departing only so he can go retrieve coffee from Esme and so that Ophelia could bid her father goodbye. 

Downstairs, Charlie Swan sat smiling down at the little doodle he peaked at. He knew he was supposed to wait and open it with his lunch like always, but sometimes he couldn't help himself. 

"Good morning," Ophelia smiled, hugging her fuzzy robe closer to her body and letting Kingsley lead her through the house. She made her way over to her dad, draping her arms over his shoulders and hugging him tightly. 

"Mornin' Opie." Charlie's voice was always known as gruff and somewhat neutral, but never with his youngest daughter. Somehow his deep and gravelly voice always turned soft, much like many other people's when speaking to little Ophelia Swan. 

She walked over to the sink, tripping slightly over own slippers, and got him a cup of water to replace the coffee he was about to drink. "You'll be safe today, right?" 

"You know I don't exactly have the safest job Opie." 

"That wasn't the question." 

Charlie released a breath he didn't know he was holding. "I'll be safe." 

"Good," Ophelia smiled. "If you need anything, call me. The school called yesterday to tell me I'm still good for graduation since I turned in all my work early." 

"That's great! I'm so proud of you and Bella. It's a shame your mom can't make it, but I'll make sure we do something nice for you two." 

"Right," Ophelia whispered, "A shame." 

A small blurb because I haven't updated. Will update more soon. 

Sorry for that by the way. I got into a little funk but I'm gonna work on it and hopefully feel better. 

Happily holidays. Be safe and be easy on yourself. You deserve it <3 

My inbox is open if anyone ever needs to talk. I know how hard the holidays are, especially now.