Chapter 13

Ophelia smiled when she felt the familiar draft come through her window. 

A cold hand was placed on her waist and a gentle kiss on her shoulder. Edward peered around her to see the new art piece she was working on. 

"No paint today?" He asked. 

She shook her head. "I never paint in the house. I don't want the fumes to make Kingsley sick." Ophelia paused, placing her hand down and tilting her head as thoughts filtered through her head. "One time, during one of my mom's wannabe hippie phases, she got really into yoga and bought a bunch of incense to "complete the vibe". She lit a bunch in the living room while Bella and I were at school and it made Kingsley sick. He has some nasal issues and is really sensitive to smells. I just remember being so angry with my mom for not thinking about it. She can be a little self absorbed." 

Edward watched as Ophelia's head tilted, forehead scrunching the more in depth she thought about her mother and herself. "Hey," he turned her head to face him, "You aren't like Renee if that's what you're worried about."

She didn't respond. Instead she just leaned up onto her tippy toes and kissed Edward on the cheek. "We've gotta go to bed if we plan on playing baseball tomorrow." 

"No you  have to go to bed." 

"I'll remember that tomorrow Cullen. When I beat you I'll be locking my window." 

***

"I thought he was gonna shoot you," Ophelia breathed out in a sigh of relief.

"Trust me, he was thinking about it." 

Ophelia fidgeted in her seat beside Edward as he drove his brother's jeep. Bella in the seat behind her sister after being persuaded to come. It was hard to say no to Ophelia. 

Both Swan girl's were incredibly clumsy and truth be told, Ophelia didn't want to be the only human at the game. She didn't want to impose too much on the vampire family and ruin their fun. So in hopes of not needing to rely on them or distract Edward from his family, she brought Bella who she was grateful to spend time with as well. 

Edward noticed her uncomfortable shifting and reached over to grab her hand from her lap, bringing it up to his lips he placed a kiss on the top of it and laced their fingers together. Even from his peripheral vision he could see the bright red blush cover her face.

"I know the future can change and all, but for the most part you still know which team will win. You can just cloud your brain with other stuff to prevent Edward from seeing it and the winning team will remain." Ophelia spoke to Alice after they arrived. 

"Pretty much. I'm usually pretty good at blocking him out if I really want to but sometimes it will slip and he will get a glimpse of what will happen." 

"So do you go on the team you know will lose sometimes just to keep it interesting?" 

Alice giggled, tugging the girl to her side. "C'mon, you'll be on my team. We're pitching." 

Bella watched from across the field as Alice instructed Ophelia on the best way to throw, standing a good distance away and saying when she was ready so she knew where to direct her aim. 

"She's amazing isn't she?" Esme spoke from beside Bella, smiling at her. 

"She is. I don't know how she does it," Bella smiled back, watching her sister lovingly. 

The family rounded up, Rosalie being the first to bat and Alice standing beside Ophelia. 

"Okay. She's farther away than when we practiced so you'll have to throw harder. Straight ahead and I'll have her call out when she's ready." 

"Got it." Ophelia felt nervous, not wanting to ruin it by throwing the wrong way or not hard enough. She already felt like a burden because as a human she's not exactly on the same level as their playing. But not being able to see made it that much more difficult. 

Rosalie cleared her throat, getting a stern look from Esme as a "be nice" warning. 

"I'm ready," she spoke loud and clear, making sure the human could hear her. 

Ophelia's arm extended as she breathed in, trying her best to picture Rosalie standing before her, and on her exhale she snapped her arm forward as hard and fast as she could. Everyone was pleasantly surprised by how well she did, the ball came directly toward where Rosalie stood and had she had the strength they do, it would have been perfect. 

In its own way it was perfect. Because the ball was moving much slower than Rosalie was used to, she missed the first time, calculating her swing too fast resulting in a strike. The vampire wanted to think of something snarky, but instead she quietly tried to conceal her thoughts from Edward, who was far too busy staring with heart eyes at his girlfriend, and instead she praised the girl in her head. 

Rose found it hard to be angry with Ophelia as her eyes widened when the strike was called out, Alice leaping up and down beside her squealing in joy at how amazing she did. "Was it my fault?"

"No you did perfect!" Alice's voice went up at least two octaves. 

Ophelia laughed in surprise, starting to move towards Alice to give her a high five only to trip over nothing and almost tumble to the ground if Alice hadn't caught her. "Don't worry, we'll work on the clumsiness later." 

From the other side of the field, Bella shouted for her sister, practically falling over from the love that brimmed over her at the sight of her sister's success. On the next throw, Rosalie did hit an almost home run if Edward hadn't caught it and sent it to Esme in time. Nevertheless, Ophelia had still succeeded. 

After that she let Alice take over, not wanting to steal all the fun from everyone else, and joined her sister who hugged her tightly. "I love you Opie. Dad will be so proud when I tell him." 

"I love you too Bells." 

They laughed together, Bella doing a goofy voice and pretending to be a sports announcer and telling her what was going on, sending Ophelia crumpled over in laughter. 

"And now, on the opposing team we have the blonde queen up to bat. Batting at an average of I don't know because my dad isn't here, Rosalie Cullen!" Ophelia commentated in weird voice then followed up with fake crowd noises, making Bella stifle a laugh and Rosalie roll her eyes, trying hard to fight back the small smile that was twitching at the edges of her mouth.  

The snap of the bat echoing a loud thunder sent the ball flying through the air, Edward about to run to retrieve it only to hear Alice instead. 

"Stop!"