Chapter 25

The first thing Ophelia noticed when she started to wake up was the excruciating amount of pain on the left side of her body. 

The room was freezing and the only sound apart from her breathing was the machines she was hooked up to. It must have been late at night, because she knew that neither Charlie nor Bella were in the room with her. 

"This is becoming quite the tradition," Ophelia spoke out loud. 

The close proximity was sending shivers down her spine even though the distance was far across the room. 

"Are you gonna say anything or are you here to observe and leave again?" Her jaw clenched in frustration, letting herself be bold for once. 

Her question was followed by soft breeze and met with a cold hand stroking down her face. 

"Don't," Ophelia snapped. 

"I thought you were dead. Alice's vision ended so quickly that we were all convinced you wouldn't have made it." Finally, the voice of Edward Cullen drifted into her ears like the most wonderful lullaby. If only it didn't come with a heavy sadness. 

"You left." 

"It wasn't safe for you," he retorted. 

"Because I was so safe with you gone, huh?" Ophelia's voice dripped with anger but her body unconsciously tried to move closer to him. 

The two sat in silence for a few more moments, Edward not leaving his spot beside her bed and Ophelia fiddling stubbornly with the hospital blanket. He tried to speak again, wanted to confess everything and beg for forgiveness but was only met by Ophelia cutting him off. 

"Is he still here?" She asked.

"Who?" Edward furrowed his brows in confusion. 

"Jasper. Is he okay?" 

Edward's lip twitched into a small smile as his eyes gazed over her face that was a bright red. More so from anger than being near him but still. It filled him with happiness seeing her in person again. 

"Yes. Alice said you'd want to speak to him." Ophelia nodded, starting to yawn as the pain began to feel uncomfortable and filled her with exhaustion. "Sleep." 

She pulled the blanket up and burrowed underneath it as best she could while still being forced to lay on her back, mumbling a quiet, "Don't tell me what to do." 

***

It had been a week before she could be discharged from the hospital. Edward never left apart from when Bella or Charlie would come in. Ophelia didn't speak to him, not even a small acknowledge of his presence. 

It wasn't until he came knocking on the front door to the Swan home that she finally lost her cool. 

Charlie was in the kitchen with Bella, attempting to make some sort of breakfast, and Ophelia was struggling to get around the house on one crutch. Kingsley constantly followed her, making sure she had support in case she needed to lean on something else and leading her when needed. 

In truth she was supposed to be using a wheelchair, but after an hour long fight with Bella and a nurse, they agreed to the once crutch and no physical activity.  

The knock wasn't too loud or disturbing, but enough to make her father lean over and look out the window. 

"That son of a bitch has lost his goddamn mind if he thinks I'm letting him come in this house, or even talk to my daughter after that shit he pulled!" Charlie was furious, ready to stomp over to the door and potentially arrest him off of his property. 

Ophelia realized who he was talking about and tried her best to wobble and catch up with her dad, ignoring Kingsley's whining. 

"Wait, dad. I can handle this. I just need to borrow something."