Chapter 36

The day before graduation, Forks began to rain. 

It wasn't surprising at all to Edward when his hunt was cut short due to the weather. What was surprising was when he came home to find his girlfriend and his mother giggling on the couch, a wide variety of crafts and paints strewn about the living room and the thick smell of coffee in the air. 

"Edward," Ophelia smiled happily. He hadn't even fully walked into the room yet, not that it mattered; she always knew when he was near. 

When he finally came to stand close enough to the couch she laughed childishly, standing up and tripping over various yarn balls whilst holding something behind her back. Standing in front of him she threw her arms around his shoulders and hugged him tightly, going onto her tiptoes for extra height. 

Edward felt something warm and soft weigh down against his shoulders and looked to see a blanket. 

"Isn't it the comfiest? Esme spent the day showing me how to crotchet." It was very comfy, and much warmer than one would expect. It was a pretty light grey color but not very big against his own body. But for Ophelia, it was perfect. 

"It's wonderful," Edward smiled. Leaning down he kissed her forehead before whispering a few compliments into her ear, pulling back just enough to watch her blush spread all over. 

Esme watched in content, loving the sight of her once moody and depressed son become the very opposite. For the longest time she worried he would never find someone that could rein in the good parts of him, and bring him the kind of happiness no one else could. She couldn't be happier that Ophelia Swan was the one he ended up with. 

"I'm assuming Alice is still moping?"

Ophelia rolled her eyes playfully. "Yes. I agreed to graduation but not to her party."

Edward chuckled. "Well, I'll be glad to have a pass on that tomorrow." 

His girlfriend's brows furrowed and she pulled away from his embrace in the slightest. "Uh uh. I thought I told you. No boyfriends allowed." 

"What?"

"You heard me. Any celebration pertaining to graduation is going to be between Dad, Bella, and myself. Dad called dibs already and if I hurry, I can finish our matching sweaters by this weekend." 

This time, it was Edward's turn to be confused. "You're making matching sweaters? For who?" 

"The three of us," Ophelia said in a 'duh' tone. "I thought it'd be a cute family photo. Oh, maybe I should make a scarf for Kingsley to go with Dad's!"

"Your dad? In a crochet sweater?" Edward was trying very hard to word his questions carefully, as he knew how sensitive Ophelia could be when it came to stuff like that. "I just mean that I've never seen your dad wear one." 

"That's because I've never made him one. I think he'll love it." 

From the corner of Edward's eye he could see Esme shaking her head, staring at him intently as if warning him not to continue on this topic. The three of them talked back and forth for awhile, Ophelia telling how much she loved using their coffee machine even though it "didn't taste as good as when he made it", to which Esme gave Edward a wink indicating that she kept his secret. 

It wasn't until the drive home that Ophelia nearly gave Edward's frozen heart a heart attack. 

"Stop the car!" She said suddenly, making him pull over quickly and stare at her in confusion. 

Ophelia's heart was racing, her eyes closed as she clutched the handmade blanket from early tightly before she leaned down to grab the umbrella at her feet. 

"What are you doing? Oph-" Edward's words were drowned out when she got out of the car, her umbrella hanging over her head and the blanket held against her chest. 

There, huddled underneath the awning of the gas station was a shivering man. His dirty and holy clothes did nothing to battle the cold that bit at his skin. The cardboard box that lay underneath his bottom was soaked through from the rain. He shook aggressively, unable to stop the movement. 

Edward watched as Ophelia crouched in front of the man, and struggled to stay in his seat to avoid a possible fight later. 

Ophelia held the umbrella over their heads, and spoke softly to the stranger who's eyes grew damp, before she handed him the umbrella and carefully wrapped the blanket she had spent all day working on around his cold body. She said a goodbye before carefully making her way back to the car, her clothes soaked within a few seconds of being without the cover. 

She smiled, sitting down in the warm seat of Edward's car which immediately got wet due to her current state. "Now we can go."

He watched her dumbfounded, almost in a trance. Leaning across the center console, he gripped around her jaw and pulled her face towards his, kissing her deeply. Pulling back, he watched her cheeks turn a bright red. 

"You, my sweet girl, never cease to amaze me." 

Just a cute little blurb before graduation next chapter and all the things that obviously come with that. 

I hope you liked it <3