Chapter 38

Coming through the window the following morning Edward didn't bother making his presence known. She always knew when he was around.  

The morning air filtered in along with the scent of rain, but the sunrise came in briefly -  just long enough to glaze across Ophelia's body and give her skin a warm glow. It was mesmerizing, almost mesmerizing enough that Edward didn't immediately see how tense her body was. Looking around the room he could see the remnants of what must have been drawings from the middle of the night along with various empty mugs that had once been filled with coffee. 

She sat on the floor, her back facing Edward while Kingsley lay on the bed, head hanging slightly off so that he could nudge her once in awhile. Edward sighed, kneeling down to carefully brush her hair back and carefully pull up the strap of her silk nightgown that had fallen down her shoulder. At his touch her body immediately relaxed, unconsciously leaning back into him as he placed a single kiss to where his fingers had just grazed. 

"I'm sorry," he mumbled into her skin, arms coming to wrap around her waist and pull her back in between his legs. Ophelia hummed in response, turning slightly to nuzzle her head in between where his shoulder and neck meet and inhale his scent deeply. "What else is bothering you baby? You haven't slept."

Her lips quirked up at that. "Neither have you." 

Edward chuckled and she kissed his neck softly, resulting in a gentle squeeze of her hip as a warning. Ophelia sighed, giving in since she felt too tired to dismiss it. 

"Something's wrong," she whispered. She moved to feel around on the floor to find a few of her sketches. "You'll have to tell me what I drew." 

He looked at the first one for a moment, automatically recognizing Riley Biers before moving to look at the one of Victoria. Edward contemplated how to tell her what was going on for a moment. Well, more so how to approach telling her. 

Before he could open his mouth to explain she started speaking again. 

"I already know why you weren't here if that's what you're worried about. Jake called Bella last night."

Edward's jaw clenched, clearly annoyed that Jacob did that knowing Bella would tell her before he could. As if understanding, Ophelia's small hand reached up to trace his jaw, coaxing it to relax before stroking his cheek lovingly. He caught her hand, placing a kiss to the palm before responding. 

"I should have told you when we found out. Especially since it concerns your safety. I could have came over and explained but I didn't want to risk an argument and leave my family alone with the wolves without a translator," he said truthfully. 

Ophelia turned around so that she could face him, his back now leaning against her bed and her arms lazily draped over his shoulders to run her fingers through the hair at the nape of his neck. 

"I'm not mad that missed our goodnight or that you didn't tell me right away. I was worried - no I still am. It's not about my safety anymore. It's so much bigger than just me." 

"We're gonna be - " 

Ophelia cut him off, placing a finger over his lips to shut him up. "Fine, I know. But you can't ensure that. I felt bad enough about what happened in Phoenix and now there is a whole army after not only me but innocent people. Not only them but your family is unsafe as well as the poor wolves and I can't even help." 

She leaned her forehead against his and closed her eyes. "I want to help," she whispered and Edward could automatically tell there was no way he could keep her out of it without hurting her. 

He sighed, speaking out painfully, "I'll talk to Jasper."

***