Chapter 27

"You have to wake up for me," Edward's voice attempted to coax Ophelia out of her slumber only to receive a grumble back. 

"Come on, Jasper will be there to make sure you don't get anxious and Alice will see if anything goes wrong." 

Nothing. 

Instead, Edward opted to pulling her body close, careful of her still healing injuries and pushed his face into her neck. Placing soft kisses and rubbing his face made Ophelia giggle under her breath, trying hard to pretend to be asleep. 

"I know you're awake." 

She kept her eyes closed like a petulant child as he lifted her up, walking carefully out the door and down the stairs. 

"Wait! What about dad?" Suddenly, Ophelia was very awake. 

"He left an hour ago. I tried to wake you up to say goodbye but you've been very stubborn this morning. Nearly had to pop my jaw back into place." 

She gasped, hand reaching forward to rub Edward's face as if feeling for an injury. "I hit you? I don't even remember it." 

His chuckled vibrated through her body, making her shiver. "We're here," Edward said, carefully placing her down on the ground. 

Ophelia immediately made her way to the kitchen, her nose in the air sniffing for coffee until she reached Bella who stood over the coffee pot. 

"Uh uh," Ophelia tutted, hand reaching out to stop Bella just as she was about to scoop into the filter. Lifting up the scoop she took another whiff, glaring at her sister before rummaging around the kitchen. 

"How did she know?" Bella asked, wide eyes staring at Edward who was confused. 

"How dare you, my dear sister, switch my coffee to decaf. What is the world coming to?" Ophelia pulled a bag out of the cupboard, giving it a quick inhale before nodding and handing it to Edward. "Can you make some coffee please? Yours always tastes the best." 

Edward's face would've been blushing a deep crimson if his blood still circulated. Stuttering and unsure of how to answer, he looked at Bella, who in turn glared at him. She still wasn't very happy with his presence back in Ophelia's life. 

"Well, uh- actually I have to go home for that. You see, we use a different kind of coffee thing and you know what, I'll just be back in time for school. I'll see you there," He rushed out, running as fast as he could to get home. 

"Mom?" Edward called out. 

"Yes dear, Alice already told me. It's on the counter." 

***

The school made Ophelia feel anxious.

Memories from her last time here replayed in her head making her hands clam up and a wave nausea hit her stomach. Gripping Edward's hand tightly, she tried her best to ignore the whispers of everyone around them. 

Luckily he understood that, and made sure to lead her in the direction of his brother.

"Well good morning to you too ma'am. Quite the feelings you got there," Jasper joked as they walked up to him and Alice. 

"Always a pleasure Mr. Hale. I just love the feeling of throwing up in the morning," Ophelia responded in a dramatic southern drawl. 

His standing there sent calm throughout her body, which was much appreciated. Ophelia leaned her weight onto Edward as she still struggled to walk on her own. Though now she felt an uncomfortable pain in her lower abdomen but tried her best to ignore it. 

It wasn't until later in the day she was on her way to meet Edward when she heard it. 

The giggling. The high pitched voice. No doubt, if Ophelia could see she'd probably witness her flirty touches as well. 

From around the corner she leaned against the wall for support, listening to the conversation. 

"I just figured you would've gotten all cold and lonely up there in Alaska. There must not have been many girls around to keep you warm," the taunting voice of a girl from Edward's history class echoed through the quiet halls. 

"My family and I actually stayed in most of the time. By the fire. We were all plenty warm," Edward responded, peeling her manicured hand off his chest. 

"Maybe we can sit by the fire sometime. It's very romantic." 

He coughed, once again moving further away from her outstretched hand. "Sorry, I have a girlfriend." 

Ophelia smiled when she heard that, turning the corner to save him from the torture.

"You mean pukey? She can't even handle one day at school without you. Let's not forget how ugly she must be after getting mauled by that bear. Hobbling around like some sort of idiot."

The girl and Edward's head turned to see Ophelia's smile fall, eyes now filling with tears and her bottom lip pulled tightly between her teeth, before she turned around and left. 

"Oops," the girl laughed, hand grabbing Edward's arm to pull him away. 

Edward ripped his arm from her grasp angrily, leaning down closely with a dark gaze. "Don't ever speak about her again. You're a disgusting and vile human and you'll never have half the heart Ophelia does," he spoke lowly, venom lacing every word. 

Ophelia hid away in the girls bathroom, leaning against the sink as she tried to push her tears away when Edward barged in. 

"Ophelia? Oh, baby. Don't cry," he pulled her into his embrace. "She had no right to say those awful, untrue things." 

She let out a sob, tears streaming down her face as she began blubbering in hard to understand words. "She was so mean but she wasn't even wrong. It's so embarrassing. I'm pretty sure I helped her last year in art. It's just this all sucks. And I-" she stopped, lip wobbling. 

"You what baby?" 

"I started my period!" Ophelia cried out, pushing her face into Edward's chest. He tried his best to soothe her, hands combing through her hair.

"It's okay. I'll go get you what you need," he whispered and kissed the top of her head. 

Ophelia shook her head no. "No you need to get away from me or something. I probably smell gross and I'm bleeding everywhere. Why did I just say that?  I'm sorry, I don't usually get this emotional on my period." 

It took Edward 20 minutes to calm her down, reassuring her everything was gonna be fine and that he'd go and get whatever she needed. His first stop had been Bella, who gave him a list of things to get from the store.

This was gonna be interesting.